• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty theft and jobs in financial industry.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbwayl

What is the name of your state?
What is the name of your state?
CA

I was convicted with petty theft in CA one year ago. Right now, I got some offers from some financial service firms (credit card, banks). They usually ask for SSN for background check, credit check. I have not accepted any offer yet because of my conviction. The case was in 2002, when I had some emotional problem. I was in a divoice process and severe eating disorder at that time. I was convicted for shoplifting for food and diet pills in a store. I got a lawyer and the lawyer convinced me that he could make it down to infraction if I hire him for the case. I also went for therapist for proof of my eating disorder. But there is no change of the final charge, and it was still sentenced as 'petty theft' after more than 1.5 years of disputing. Because of that, my charge starts in 2004. and I have to wait 3 years to get it expunged.

My question is: is there a specific law stating that a person with misdeamnor charges can not work in financial industry? Up to now, it seems to me that only financial firms ask firmly about this question. Is there a chance that I still get hired by those financial firms, if I disclose my situation? Or I'd better just deline the offer ince I am not going to get it anyway?

Thanks a lot! I have to decide asap!

BTW, I was fine for $400, but not jail time, in response to a worried mom in this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">