• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Theft Question..HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CaliKid02

I live in CA and my girlfriend was caught shoplifting at Kmart. Her parents received a $175 fine and are so upset that they will not agree to pay the fine. What will end up happening? This is her first offense and she is 16. PLEASE HELP

S

superslinky

I don't know what the laws are for juveniles out in CA, but I do believe in most states it's sixteen years old. I don't know why the parents were ordered to pay the fine in the first place but, if they don't pay the fine the will be ordered to re-appear in court and that is probably the last thing they want to do. The judge, I'm sure, will be very upset that they didn't pay it and if they still refuse to pay, the judge can put then in jail for one day for every 10 dollars or so that the owe. I don't know if its exactly ten dollars a day but most states do have something like that. I just know that it is ten a day in MI. One more thing, why doesn't your friend pay it if she did it. She should be acting more like an adult about it and not want to cause any more grief to her parents.

C

CaliKid02

Thanks for your help. I made an error, she is not 16. She is still 15. She would like to pay the fine but she just doesn't have that kind of money. She's worried because her parents are scaring her by saying that she'll be put in jail. That's impossible right? Given that she is 15 and this is her first offense. I heard the punishment for not paying a fine is community service. Is that correct?

S

superslinky

I am fairly certain that community service is really just an option for sentenceing. The judge can give her what he feels fit. If this is her first offence and her parents weren't ordered to pay it, then she will most likely just get probation with a juvenile court. Probably, if she stays out of trouble it will be forgotten about. I would advise her to try to get the money, pay it and be done with it. Tell her to get a job anywhere she can. Chances are, she will be able to make that kind of money in one week with a job even if she quits it the day she gets her first paycheck. Its really just not worth the trouble but she will NOT go to jail for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">