• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Call from Police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamesWest007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

This morning I received a call from someone saying that they are the police and if I didn't call a phone number by 2:00 pm tomorrow a warrant would be issued from the sheriff here in Hawaii.

I looked up the number and it was a company called US Legal Support in Texas. I called the number not disclosing my number and asked who they are and she told me they are the IRS. She wouldn't give me anymore info and asked who I am. What should I do? I know of no reason for anyone to contact me. Please help with any information possible.

Aloha,
James

LdiJ

This morning I received a call from someone saying that they are the police and if I didn't call a phone number by 2:00 pm tomorrow a warrant would be issued from the sheriff here in Hawaii.

I looked up the number and it was a company called US Legal Support in Texas. I called the number not disclosing my number and asked who they are and she told me they are the IRS. She wouldn't give me anymore info and asked who I am. What should I do? I know of no reason for anyone to contact me. Please help with any information possible.

Aloha,
James
Its a scam. Ignore them. The IRS does not make phone calls to taxpayers unless they have sent a slew of letters first.

quincy

Aloha,
James
I would ignore it. The IRS does not call or issue warrants.

quincy

I am curious how someone can get and call my phone number showing a number that is valid from the police dept here. Any insight into how this can be done?

Mahalo
Ahhh. When you ask it like THAT then it becomes a legal question. ;)

This forum is for offering advice on legal questions and not for answering technical questions, but if you want to search the term "spoofing" that could lead you to an answer.* Cell phone numbers, as a note, are not nearly as private as one might think. And I thought you said the call you received originated in Texas and not in Hawaii.

Whatever the case, a call saying it is from the IRS is a well-known scam. Do not provide any personal or financial information to the caller. Hang up. If you wish to report the call to the IRS you can do that.

Aloha, James.

* I see that tranquility has done some work for you. He is far nicer than I am. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">