• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

phone harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haveques

What is the name of your state? ohio

I have a friend that has been charged with phone harassment, and I would like to know what if anything can she do about it...
She was trying to call her son, and by accident called the home of her son's estranged wife's parents. The phone was answered by the estranged wife's boyfriend, and they exchanged a few remarks back and forth before she hung up.
Not long after that, she received a call from the local sherrif's department, saying that she was being brought up on phone harassment charges.
The facts are, that the sons estranged wife has made over 200 calls to my friends home since the beginning of March, and she has the phone bills to prove it. (cellular phone)
What can she do, and who is in the right?

Thanks for any advice,
haveques

Last edited:

Phone calls

There is more to this story than what is told here. What can she do? STOP calling for her son, and let her son call her. The sheriff does NOT normally call people to tell them they are being brought up on charges. The POLICE show up and arrest. The call was probably bogus. Tell MOM to grow up and stop arguing on phones. She cannot control what others do, but she can control herself.

CdwJava

Well, we DO occasionally call people and tell them that they might be guilty of a crime should the act continue. It's usually a good way to get people to stop.

In this case, mom should wait to see if any charges come down the pipe and then hire an attorney if she is ultimately charged. If it was a single call and not part of a recent pattern, I doubt that any court will waste time with it.

And if she really wants to go through the effort, AND has told the estranged wife not to call her, then she should go to the police and make a report of the calls. But if the calls last for a few minutes each time as they converse back and forth it will be hard to argue that the calls were unwanted.

- Carl

haveques

Ref: responses to "Phone Harassment?"

I just wanted to thank those who responded to my question...
I think the response from Carl especially, will give my friend some peace of mind.
I had told her the same, but i wanted another opinion.

Thanks again,
haveques

utsava

????

If you get charged, you get a ticket.
Maybe the sheriff gave you an order not to call?
In some states, over the phone, that is an oder,
however, you can simply find out and call the sheriff's office
if the phone call was real.

haveques

Thanks

utsava said:
If you get charged, you get a ticket.
Maybe the sheriff gave you an order not to call?
In some states, over the phone, that is an oder,
however, you can simply find out and call the sheriff's office
if the phone call was real.

Thank you for your response!

haveques

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">