• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

phone harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tooannoyed

i live in tn. i am experiencing phone harrassment (around 2 month's worth) by the wife of an aquaintance who apparently believes her husband and i have had an affair. we have not. i have only met the man face to face once and that was months ago. this couple is involved in a bitter divorce. she has somehow acquired my cell #. i do not think she has any other info. about me. some messages have been verbal and semi-threatening, some messages are numeric. for example, she will put in her husband's work # but caller i.d. indicates her calls are from their home. all of her contacts seem quite juvenile and trashy in nature to me. the husband does not attempt contact with me. we share mutual desire for no contact with one another. she has even involved their teenaged son; he left a verbal message posing as his father (requesting i call back). i do not answer her calls nor do i respond to messages. i do not wish to waste a cell minute on her. she also manages to call at times when i am in no position to address her, though i would like to in the worst way. i had hoped she would tire of this but she is calling daily and i am very annoyed at this point. my own son uses my phone on occasion and i want to protect him from this harrassment as well. is it worth obtaining an order of protection or should i inconvenience myself and many others who have my cell # by having the number changed? if order of protection is warranted, what do i need to provide proof to the court?

N

needoutNOW

The order of protection (no contact order) would only show on paper that she isn't supposed to contact you. If she is this ridiculous with the phone calls now, she probably won't stop after the order is in place. That just means continued harrassment and court appearances if you charge her with contempt of the order.

Speaking from experience, I would change your phone number, or somehow ask your phone company if there is a way to block her calls.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">