• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phony registration tag

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Not2brightSumtx

What is the name of your state? NY

In January 2000 my car registration was renewed by mail for another two years. New York registers on a BI annual basis by mail. In May of 2000 I sold my house and moved to a rental while I built a new house. I updated my drivers License at that time with my new rental address. My mail was forwarded from our old address for a year by the post office, after which they automatically stop. I thought that by providing the DMV with a change of address for my license that all such registration information would be updated. NOT

Unbeknownst to me, in February 2002 my registration for my car had expired. I drove around until December before I was made aware that it had expired. I can honestly say I never thought or realized it because I had gotten so use to it being done automatically by mail for years and I have been very busy with new job, building a new house , moving my family, Raising a family and trying to cope with the financial losses due to losing my job for the first half of 2002. These last 6 months have been extremely stressful for me. So much that my doctor prescribed an anti anxiety drug for me which I still take.

When I was made aware of the expired registration back in the beginning of December I made an attempt to go to the DMV the next day I had off and get things in order. On this particular day there was a line out the front door of the DMV. I grabbed a form for changing my address on my license to my new house address, and a form for redoing my registration. I took the forms and left. When I got home I glanced at the registration form and I noticed that it required me to have the title to my car in order to re-register it. My title was somewhere in the boxes in the garage that were still unpacked from our recent move. This all took place just before the Christmas Holiday season and a host of other family occasions

Regretfully I did not get my registration problem resolved. The Christmas Holidays were upon me. This involved an 8 hour road trip to the in laws. I was concerned about taking my wife's car for a couple of mechanical reasons, so we took mine. Moments before we were ready to leave I realized I still had my car unregistered. Not giving it much thought I took a magic marker and placed a 04 over the 02 on my nearly falling off registration tag. I did this with a tongue in cheek approach, and promised myself as soon as we returned home that once the I would get to the DMV with the proper paper work and get things in order. I didn't think it was a big deal since the week before I had changed my license by mail and was instructed on that DMV form to write my new address on my old license. It seemed harmless enough to temporally change my expiration date on my registration tag for a couple of day until I had time to take care of it. It was done very unprofessional, almost as a joke to myself. Little did I know. Little did I think, The joke was on me!

Last Saturday while putting in some O.T at my work place the parking lot was empty except for my car.As a town police cruiser was making the rounds, the officer became suspicious by my lone car. Upon investigating my plate and registration he noticed the marked up tag. I didn't know he was there or waiting for me. A little while later I drove out of the lot and was promptly pulled over, handcuffed, arrested and taken to the station. My car was impounded, I was fingerprinted, and locked up. An interesting event and a first for me.

The charge was expired registration and tampering with an instrument of the state. They released me promptly without bail, and even gave me a ride back to my place of work. My car however remained in the pound until the following morning. It was released when the tow charge and new registration were taken car of.

Should I make a plea of guilty and try to explain my reasons and claim ignorance of the law? I would present myself as sorry and regreatful as I truly am. Again, this would be my first charge with a felony, ever.

For the record. When I was stopped by the cop, the false registration tag was no longer on my window. I had ripped it off when I saw the cop car approaching me from the rear. I stuffed it between the seats. It was not in visible sight, nor did I give the officer permission to search for it. Did the police have a right to search my car without a warrant?

Thanks in advance.

signed, Not 2 bright sometimes, but generally honest.

CMSC

Okay I just have two questions and two comment.

My comment is, you could really cut down your post...get rid of the christmas vacation stuff etc. just do the details and more people would respond I am sure.:)

My other comment is ignorance of the law is not an excuse and won't get you any pity.
Were you appointed an attorney?

Also I am a little confused, you said that your car was in the parking lot alone when a cop saw it and checked the tags. Then you said that you were being followed by a cop and you stuffed the tags in the seat. So did he pull you over or did you just run your plates while it was sitting in the parking lot?

I don't see how you could have forgot that you didn't need to register your car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">