• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phycho sister in law making treats and vandilism to family an property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LitlJenn10

What is the name of your state? Ca
My Husbands Half sister, has been emailing threats, phone calling threats and actually came to our home and started to vandalize it until a neighbor who is part of the CHP came out and stoped her. We have called the police department and they dont want to deal with it, they say they have better things to do. Which is just wrong. What can and should we do?

Beth3

Go to the police station or your area's justice center and ask how to go about obtaining a restraining order. Or ask your police officer neighbor how to go about this.

You may also want to consider changing your phone number to an unlisted number and changing your e-mail address. Just be sure anybody you give those to after you make a change does not share them with your nutty sister-in-law.

H

hmmbrdzz

Why has your police department said they don't want to deal with it? Have you shown them the e-mails, do they know she vandalized your place? Did you call them when she did this?
The highway patrol who is a neighbor -- even though he personally intervened and stopped her from vandalizing your place further, can not legally assist you in this matter and will probably stay far away from it (other than to tell you to call the police). At this point -- considering you've not attempted to get a restraininig order yet (and since a restraining order has therefore not been violated yet), there is no need to change your phone number. Many many people think this is a good solution (changing your phone number and e-mail before doing anything else), but actuality it's not the best thing to do nor is it suggested as the first line of defense by law enforcement. Changing a phone number sometimes "provokes" a would-be stalker (makes their behavior worse). Victims of harassment and stalkers should deal with the harasser / stalker heads up and by the book. It sounds like you have tried to get something done by the police, but you should keep trying. Print the e-mails and go to the police and say "we want something done, and we want it done now, and we are not going to take no for an answer". If they refuse to assist you, you tell them again you feel your life is in danger and that if they refuse to assist you, you will file a complaint. It should not take these extremes to get instructions from them on how to get a restraining order. Also, if you feel safe in doing so, you need to advise this "stalker" specifically "Leave me alone, or I will call the police and get a restraining order". A history of these words having been spoken by you to this person needs to be a matter of record. All you have to do -- after these words have been spoken and this person bugs you one more time -- is go to police and tell them. The police, upon their knowledge that you have advised this person to leave you alone and the person has violated your wishes, should advise you to go to the magistrate's office to get the restraining order. If it's an emergency, the police can call the magistrate themselves and get an emergency TRO (temporary restraining order). If this person still stalks you after a restraining order has been issued, then it might be time to change your phone number, but if the person knows where you live -- watch out in doing so. It sometimes will provoke them to show up on your property.

Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

L

LitlJenn10

The first time this happended the female officer said she had to many things to do and that it was a petty problem and she didnt have time for it. now that it has happended again it took 3 days for an officer to finally come to our home, where he read the emails, he saw that she started to vandalize our home, and has knowledge of telephone harrasment and threats. His solution was that he was going to go over to her house and straighten her out. He wrote down that she had made the theats and the vandalism but really didnt do anything but tell here that if she does it again she will be arrested. Our Chp neighbor has already told us that if we needed him to make a report that he saw the vandalism and stoped it from going further he would. We are in the process of filing a restraing order , its just , the time it takes to get it in action to now is a little gap and the police didnt give us a temp. restraing order, knowing that this person and her husband have a violent history, he was almost kicked out of the air force for beating her, and if he is involved with anything again he will be , and her for beating on him, and other people. The VICTORVILLE CALIFORNIA police department is a JOKE ! They dont do anything untill there is a dead body on the ground. Which is just plain crazy. Hopefully after the restraing order is in place this will all stop. hopefully.

H

hmmbrdzz

Good luck to you LilJen10. I hope the restraining order will help. It's too bad that police officer wouldn't give you a temporary one. Anyhow.... I'm glad typed your city name in (Victorville). The site below gives specific information on how to go about obtaining a restraining order. Starting with www and ending with #top, type the address into your address bar (browswer) and it will take you to a page where you can click on "How to Obtain A Restraining Order". Some good reading about how to do it and what you need to do in order to make this restraining order work. There are other resources other than the police department in your area that can help you. These sites are also listed. These people work with the courts and help you prepare for the hearing day and will even be your attorney. There is a lot of good information on this site, and it will help you to read it and use the resources there. There is a phone number you can call, and I would highly recommend doing so. If you don't request assistance with this, remember -- it's imperative you show up for that hearing and/or if you can't, call the court house and tell them why so they can reschedule it. Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

http://www.womenslaw.org/CA/CA_how_to.htm#top

L

LitlJenn10

Thank you very much, i appreciate it alot. And thanks for the site my husband and i will be using it as a major refrence !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">