• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Physical assault question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ljduke

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I was recently physically assaulted by a man in a park who had kicked my dog. I yelled at him and he was screaming at me and was right in my face to a point where I had to push him away. When I did, he then slugged me and continued to hit me and had me pinned to the ground continuing to pummel me. The man was larger and much more stronger than I. I told him that I was going to call the police as soon as he got off of me, which I did. They arrived shortly thereafter and took my statements and I told them I wanted to press charges because I believe he stepped over the line. There were no witnesses to this event. I have since gone to the doctor and am providing this info in the police report. Since nothing like this has ever happened to me I have a number of questions. I was told that since I touched him first I could be charged with assault even though I never fought him and he went far in his beating. What recourses do I have and do I have a case against him? If they do charge me with assault, at what point does it make it Ok for him to beat me senseless. If he had not had gloves on, I am sure he woud have knocked me unconsious. I would appreciate any help anyone could provide me.
Thank you

HomeGuru

ljduke said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I was recently physically assaulted by a man in a park who had kicked my dog. I yelled at him and he was screaming at me and was right in my face to a point where I had to push him away. When I did, he then slugged me and continued to hit me and had me pinned to the ground continuing to pummel me. The man was larger and much more stronger than I. I told him that I was going to call the police as soon as he got off of me, which I did. They arrived shortly thereafter and took my statements and I told them I wanted to press charges because I believe he stepped over the line. There were no witnesses to this event. I have since gone to the doctor and am providing this info in the police report. Since nothing like this has ever happened to me I have a number of questions. I was told that since I touched him first I could be charged with assault even though I never fought him and he went far in his beating. What recourses do I have and do I have a case against him? If they do charge me with assault, at what point does it make it Ok for him to beat me senseless. If he had not had gloves on, I am sure he woud have knocked me unconsious. I would appreciate any help anyone could provide me.
Thank you
**A: and your dog just stood by and watched?

HomeGuru

dequeendistress said:
too funny.

You touched this individual first, which may provoke a violent reaction...and it did...yes you may be charged.
**A: and to think that the writer confronted a larger and much stronger man.
Why do I envision Popeye getting lamblasted by Brutus?

L

ljduke

thanks for the jokes, but seriously at what point does it become clear that he crossed the line? If he had just pushed me down I would not have had a problem with it. What if he had put me in a coma? Beating a person senseless for retaliation for a defensive push is not what I would call an eye for an eye.
What is the legal definition of assault and when it it aceptable to push someone out of your space when they are being in-your-face hostile?

mykoleary

when it it aceptable to push someone out of your space when they are being in-your-face hostile?
Never. Especially when they are capable of beating the living crap out of you.

Sorry pal, but it sounds like the guy you pushed was defending himself once you assaulted him.

Get a pit bull or rotweiler and leave the dachsund at home.

L

ljduke

Yeah, and then not only would I be worrying about an assault charge but I would be in trouble for having my dog attack him. Smart. Maybe I should have just kicked him like he kicked my dog. I guess it's alright to assault a harmless dog.
If pushing a person out of your face is an assault then the law sucks, to me that is an assault. When you invade my space I should be allowed to push you out, and if it's alright for a person to mame you because of it then the law needs to be changed. It;s like a person can antagonize another to the point that they can no longer take it then as soon as they touch you, however slight, you can beat the crap out of him. Fine justice system we have here.

HomeGuru

ljduke said:
Yeah, and then not only would I be worrying about an assault charge but I would be in trouble for having my dog attack him. Smart. Maybe I should have just kicked him like he kicked my dog. I guess it's alright to assault a harmless dog.
If pushing a person out of your face is an assault then the law sucks, to me that is an assault. When you invade my space I should be allowed to push you out, and if it's alright for a person to mame you because of it then the law needs to be changed. It;s like a person can antagonize another to the point that they can no longer take it then as soon as they touch you, however slight, you can beat the crap out of him. Fine justice system we have here.
**A: you can say that the law sucks from now until the Great Lakes freeze and turn into a glacier. Understand the law. It's your attitude that gets you into trouble.

L

ljduke

How can you understand the law when it makes no sense? It's not my attitude that started this mess.

HomeGuru

ljduke said:
How can you understand the law when it makes no sense?

**A: oh brother, here we go again. I understand the law and it makes perfect sense to me. The Michigan law states that the action that you took is considered assault and battery. Plain and simple. What's not to understand? What does not make sense? You are in denial.

It's not my attitude that started this mess.
**A: oh yeah, right.

L

ljduke

Yeah, let's see, it protects antagonists yet punishes people who defend themselves. real sensible

mykoleary

ljduke said:
Yeah, let's see, it protects antagonists yet punishes people who defend themselves. real sensible
You're starting to get it, but you have it backwards...

Now, in your case, the atagonist is you, as you laid the first blow. The person defending themselves is the one who then proceeded to pummel you.

Stop atagonizing people with your bad attitude!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">