• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Physical threats over the internet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Halls

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have my own website that I run with another admin. There was a person who signed up under a different name to troll my boards. I knew her from another board in which she and I didn't get along.

Yes, I realize this kind of stuff happens all the time on the net, it even happens often on here. Thing is when I found out that this gal was in fact trollinb on my board I wrote her a non threatening no big deal e-mail telling her she was busted and told her not to come back to my site.

In return she told me she knows my full name and address and showed me proof. She than proceded to threaten physical violence against my children. Needless to say I'm shocked, disgusted, and don't know what to do. I mean, we can all act immature on the net, but to go this far? This is crazy!

So, what should I do? First I plan to never contact this gal again, but should I contact the police with her threats and how do I go about doing it?

Bretagne

Do you have any idea who this person actually is? Or where she is at?

Without an identity, you probably can't get any type of restraining order. If you can find out who the harrasser is, then you can definately get a harassment restraining order.

If the harasser is completely anonomous to you, there's not much anyone can do to help you out. You could make a report with the police department and give them the scant information they do have. There's not really anything they can do with it at this time.

CdwJava

There are ways to track the perpetrator down. However, for an internet threat that is not likely to be carried out, the chances of the police expending the time and resources to backtrack the person for a misdemeanor are slim to none. If the person is from out of state, then the chances of a DA issuing a warrant or extraditing the person is about nil.

The person posted the info to get a rise out of you. Do not take the bait.

- Carl

Halls

I haven't taken the bait and I'm not scared, but I still plan to take this to a detective in the morning. I have her e-mail address, her real name, her place of work, and her IP address. I think that is enough to get her in big trouble, if not with the police her job as I plan to contact them and tell them what she is sending me on company time! I want her in trouble with the police and will do what it takes, but I realize it may come to nothing.

CdwJava

Are you at least in the same county? if not, you can get upset all you want, but the police are not likely to get too excited about this. In my state this is a pretty minor misdemeanor and the investigation would generally consist of taking the report and contacting the other party advising them to back off or possibly face criminal charges. Realistically, unless they lived in the same county, this would come to nothing.

- Carl

smutlydog

I haven't taken the bait and I'm not scared, but I still plan to take this to a detective in the morning. I have her e-mail address, her real name, her place of work, and her IP address. I think that is enough to get her in big trouble, if not with the police her job as I plan to contact them and tell them what she is sending me on company time! I want her in trouble with the police and will do what it takes, but I realize it may come to nothing.
If you traced her using the IP address or email account be careful. Somebody else might be using her computer or account. You don't want to get someone fired if they are not responsible. Sometimes people file lawsuits over getting fired.

I had the same thing happen to me. It turned out to be a jilted male lover that had access to passwords and IDs

Halls

Update!

Called the cops and filed a former complaint. All the cop said he could do now is call her and tell her to knock it off or we will file charges. Also, he said he is going to call her place of employment since I had it and since she is using the computer to threaten children on work time. He said he was going to tell her boss, wich IMO will likely get her butt fired!

He told me not to erase any of the e-mails because after his threat if she continues to harrass me or threaten me he said we will have enough to press charges.

I am glad I chose to call the police. If this woman loses her job over a threat to my kids life than that is enough to make me happy for now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Update!

Called the cops and filed a former complaint. All the cop said he could do now is call her and tell her to knock it off or we will file charges. Also, he said he is going to call her place of employment since I had it and since she is using the computer to threaten children on work time. He said he was going to tell her boss, wich IMO will likely get her butt fired!

He told me not to erase any of the e-mails because after his threat if she continues to harrass me or threaten me he said we will have enough to press charges.

I am glad I chose to call the police. If this woman loses her job over a threat to my kids life than that is enough to make me happy for now.
Except you didn't consider that if she loses her job and is pissed off, who do you think she will blame? Take care of yourself but don't get too happy if she gets fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">