• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pistol license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

papercut

I recently found out through NICS that I cannot own guns in my
state. I had previously bought a gun and was later issued a
concealed pistol license. Apparently NICS was not used for these
checks. After my recent NICS gun purchase denial, I sold the gun
I already had so I'm not in posession of any guns. I still have the
concealed pistol license. Do I turn it in to the county office that
issued it, or is it better not to direct any attention that way.

Can I be prosecuted for previously owning a gun even though when
I found out I'm not suppossed to own guns in my state I sold it?

My intention is obviously to avoid further prosecution.

Thanks.

ROFLMAO, so you go to buy a gun, get denied, sell the gun, and now you want to give up your concealed carry liscense just because of some background check?

My intention is obviously to avoid further prosecution.
Have you been prosecuted? Are you a convicted felon?

NICS checks arent perfect, alot of times they get people with similar names confused or the computer network just plain isnt working and thus you get denied.

In Texas you can just show your concealed carry liscense to pass your background check and they skip the whole NICS thing since most state background checks are more stringent than the whole stupid NICS thing.

Can I be prosecuted for previously owning a gun even though when
I found out I'm not suppossed to own guns in my state I sold it?
Do you know for a fact that you were legally barred from owning a firearm? Are you a convicted felon or something to that effect?

If so then maybe, but realistically probably not assuming you just shut up and never talk about it again.

However assuming you arent a felon your reaction to the situation completely boggles my mind.

You seem so damn worried about big brother and the government that you are just completely acquesing to the situation instead of being pissed off about being denied your rights.

papercut

Jack_David said:
ROFLMAO, so you go to buy a gun, get denied, sell the gun, and now you want to give up your concealed carry liscense just because of some background check?

Have you been prosecuted? Are you a convicted felon?

NICS checks arent perfect, alot of times they get people with similar names confused or the computer network just plain isnt working and thus you get denied.

In Texas you can just show your concealed carry liscense to pass your background check and they skip the whole NICS thing since most state background checks are more stringent than the whole stupid NICS thing.

Do you know for a fact that you were legally barred from owning a firearm? Are you a convicted felon or something to that effect?

If so then maybe, but realistically probably not assuming you just shut up and never talk about it again.

However assuming you arent a felon your reaction to the situation completely boggles my mind.

You seem so damn worried about big brother and the government that you are just completely acquesing to the situation instead of being pissed off about being denied your rights.

I was convicted of a misdemeanor in another state that is equivalent to
a felony in my state. I am sure I am not able to own a gun in my state,
but I am suppossedly not federally prohibited. I could still be charged with
a C felony if an officer found me in posession of a gun, if he knew the law.
If he didn't know the specifics of the law he would see an A misdemeanor,
not a domestic violence one by the way, and probably let me off the hook. The sheriff that authorized my original gun purchase and concealed pistol license apparently didn't know the specifics of the state gun laws, but the district prosecuter probably does.

I am acquesing to the situation because I know that police and prosecutors job is to get convictions. Maybe you think I'm a little paranoid and a little bit of a sissy, but I'm trying to find the best way to stay out of trouble.

So you would keep quiet and not mention it to the police right?

CdwJava

I can't see that the possession of the concealed weapon's permit is a crime at all ... so long as you are not in possession of a weapon that you are not permitted to have the piece of paper doesn't violate anything.

- Carl

mycarlb

I sold it to a gun shop and got a bill of sale type slip.

I guess what I'm worried about is that I must have unintentionally lied or made a mistake on the paperwork in order to get the gun and permit. For unlawful posession in this case if convicted I'd get a C felony.
You posted this in two spots, but left out that key bit of info... so I will respond again for you on this thread... https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=1112882#post1112882

hold up... you "unintentionally" lied??? Come on now... at least don't lie to the people here who are trying to give you advice... If you were honest on your application for a gun permit, then you need to go to the police and surrender your permit because it's NO fault of your own that you were issued it... HOWEVER, you just changed the stakes by admitting you LIED in order to secure this permit... I have the distinct feeling you knew exactly what you were doing... you wanted the handgun, and the concealed weapon permit, so you lied in order to get it...

What, just for argument's sake, did you "unintentionally" lie about? Which question?? This may help us give you a more concrete idea of what you need to do to protect your a$$

papercut

mycarlb said:
You posted this in two spots, but left out that key bit of info... so I will respond again for you on this thread... https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=1112882#post1112882

hold up... you "unintentionally" lied??? Come on now... at least don't lie to the people here who are trying to give you advice... If you were honest on your application for a gun permit, then you need to go to the police and surrender your permit because it's NO fault of your own that you were issued it... HOWEVER, you just changed the stakes by admitting you LIED in order to secure this permit... I have the distinct feeling you knew exactly what you were doing... you wanted the handgun, and the concealed weapon permit, so you lied in order to get it...

What, just for argument's sake, did you "unintentionally" lie about? Which question?? This may help us give you a more concrete idea of what you need to do to protect your a$$
I thought I answered everyting correctly, the only thing I could have misunderstood is if they asked about a felony and me not knowing that my misdemeanor in the other state translates to a felony in my state.
I believe it said have you been convicted of a felony here or elsewhere and
I answered no because it was not a felony conviction.

Replace "unintentionally lied" with "mistakingly answered."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">