• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is placing flyers on car windshields illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MattP80

I am wondering if placing flyers on car windshields is illegal (solicitation maybe?).

This is primarily in NY/NJ/CT/MA. I'd like to hand out flyers at professional sporting events as well as mall parking lots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

racer72

Each jurisdiction has there own laws concerning flyers and handbills. You will have to contact the government entity for direction.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MattP80 said:
I am wondering if placing flyers on car windshields is illegal (solicitation maybe?).

This is primarily in NY/NJ/CT/MA. I'd like to hand out flyers at professional sporting events as well as mall parking lots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My response:

The problem is not in whether it's legal to place flyers on windshields. That's legal.

The problem is whether you're doing it on private property; i.e., Are you doing it without the property owner's permission? If not, then you could get tagged for trespassing.

IAAL

M

MattP80

Well, its definitely without permission. This is mostly at professional sporting events, and we certainly haven't asked stadium management.

However, what if we paid for parking? Wouldn't that entitle us to be there?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MattP80 said:
Well, its definitely without permission. This is mostly at professional sporting events, and we certainly haven't asked stadium management.

However, what if we paid for parking? Wouldn't that entitle us to be there?

My response:

If your license to park on the parking "ticket" says that it allows you to place flyers, or to use the premises in any other way besides parking, then yes, you can place flyers on cars. Otherwise, if it doesn't, you're beyond the license granted to you and subject to trespassing arrest.

IAAL

M

MattP80

I've never, ever received a parking stub after paying for parking. I've never been advised of what the parking fee entitles me to.

Im sure it entitles me to more than parking. Maybe not handing out flyers, but more than parking. You're allowed to tailgate and throw a football around but it doesn't specifically say "no solicitation" anywhere. One stadium does say "No Vandalism".

Would walking around, talking to people, and asking if they want a flyer be considered solicitation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">