+ Reply to Thread
    MattP80 Guest

Question Is placing flyers on car windshields illegal?

I am wondering if placing flyers on car windshields is illegal (solicitation maybe?).

This is primarily in NY/NJ/CT/MA. I'd like to hand out flyers at professional sporting events as well as mall parking lots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MattP80; 05-16-2004 at 04:14 AM.
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    Each jurisdiction has there own laws concerning flyers and handbills. You will have to contact the government entity for direction.
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP80
    I am wondering if placing flyers on car windshields is illegal (solicitation maybe?).

This is primarily in NY/NJ/CT/MA. I'd like to hand out flyers at professional sporting events as well as mall parking lots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My response:

The problem is not in whether it's legal to place flyers on windshields. That's legal.

The problem is whether you're doing it on private property; i.e., Are you doing it without the property owner's permission? If not, then you could get tagged for trespassing.

IAAL
    MattP80 Guest
    Well, its definitely without permission. This is mostly at professional sporting events, and we certainly haven't asked stadium management.

However, what if we paid for parking? Wouldn't that entitle us to be there?
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP80
    Well, its definitely without permission. This is mostly at professional sporting events, and we certainly haven't asked stadium management.

However, what if we paid for parking? Wouldn't that entitle us to be there?

My response:

If your license to park on the parking "ticket" says that it allows you to place flyers, or to use the premises in any other way besides parking, then yes, you can place flyers on cars. Otherwise, if it doesn't, you're beyond the license granted to you and subject to trespassing arrest.

IAAL
    MattP80 Guest
    I've never, ever received a parking stub after paying for parking. I've never been advised of what the parking fee entitles me to.

Im sure it entitles me to more than parking. Maybe not handing out flyers, but more than parking. You're allowed to tailgate and throw a football around but it doesn't specifically say "no solicitation" anywhere. One stadium does say "No Vandalism".

Would walking around, talking to people, and asking if they want a flyer be considered solicitation?