• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

plead no contest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

akridge, rose

What is the name of your state? florida, when checking out of department store a pair of earrings that i intended to purchase were put in the bag without being charged. i was not aware of this and was apprehended outside the store with the "stolen goods" obviously i was arrested and told to plea no contest. Is this the way to go or should i plea not guilty. the charge is pet. theft $100 to $300. what degree is this crime and how will it affect my record?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

akridge said:
What is the name of your state? florida, when checking out of department store a pair of earrings that i intended to purchase were put in the bag without being charged. i was not aware of this and was apprehended outside the store with the "stolen goods" obviously i was arrested and told to plea no contest. Is this the way to go or should i plea not guilty. the charge is pet. theft $100 to $300. what degree is this crime and how will it affect my record?

My response:

I hope the earrings were silver. If not, gold clashes with the silver bracelets that the nice cop gave you. I'm a bit of a fashion nut myself, and I just HATE mixing different metals.

IAAL

JETX

"what degree is this crime"
*** According to the Florida Code:
"812.014 Theft.--
(e) Except as provided in paragraph (d), if the property stolen is valued at $100 or more, but less than $300, the offender commits petit theft of the first degree, punishable as a misdemeanor of the first degree, as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083."

Punishment:
"775.082 Penalties; applicability of sentencing structures; mandatory minimum sentences for certain reoffenders previously released from prison.--
(4) A person who has been convicted of a designated misdemeanor may be sentenced as follows:
(a) For a misdemeanor of the first degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 1 year;"

AND

" 775.083 Fines.--
(d) $1,000, when the conviction is of a misdemeanor of the first degree."

Bottom line.....
You can be given up to one year and up to $1000 in fines.

"and how will it affect my record?"
*** First, if you didn't have a criminal record, you have one now. If you did have a record, it is longer. And if you have a criminal record, depending on your career 'plans', they could be effected.

calatty

If you plead not guilty, you will have to prove that you are not guilty at a trial. If you don't think you can convince a jury or judge that the earrings made their way into your bag without your knowledge, then you might want to consider a plea bargain for a more lenient sentence than you would get after a trial. A no contest plea has the same effect as a guilty plea. You should ask your attorney whether your state has a first-time shoplifting offender program that would allow you to avoid a criminal record -- You do have an attorney, don't you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">