• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OCC123

What is the name of your state? I NEED SOME HELP !!! I am 21 and I live in West Virginia, USA. In November 2000, my best friend and myself rented a building to house a non profit church and help agency. The rent was 1100 a month. To fund the project, we had sponsors who were area businesses that agreed to sponsor us monthly. I collected a few donations for the month of November (the first month we were there) which paid for the damage deposit and after that, our sponsors backed out fairly quickly, leaving us unable to pay for the building. I left my job to be in the office full time so I could try to pull us out of this tough situation. A few months later, I tried to get out of the lease and close but the landlord said we sould keep trying and that with Gods help we would make it. The bills got even more extreme so we decided to apprach him again. This time, he said that he would not let us out of the lease and would keep us to the whole year's balance of 14,000. He advised me to try to get a loan but that went nowhere because I was young and did not have the credit history. Eventually. I closed the office anyway and owed the moey still. What is even sadder is we never paid him anything but the damage deposit. the money just wasnt there. So, back in April I had to take bankruptcy. Now he is trying to prove criminal faud charges againist me because he says that I said we had 27 sponsors that was going to support us and he said I lied about having a second job at the time I signed the lease. Well, I got a letter to verify that I did have a good job but, I dont know how to prove that we had these commitments an dthey backed out because our teachings were more liberal than most conservative churches in WV. I had a list of people that had agreed to help us, but that list was lost when I had to reformat my computer back in October. What I am wondering is, did I commit fraud? I certainly had NO intentions of doing anything wrong, I mean even the landlord said we had good intentions. We were just stupid and young and did not made very good choices. Also, the landlord wrote in the lease that rent would be due on the 15th for the first 2 months instead of the 1st because he knew we had contacts to make and donations would need to be collected. I am really scared about this and I dont know where to turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Y

yoyoma

The lord doesnt provide for everyone should be the lesson learned here, Grasshopper!

The landlord cannot demand the full years rent from you, the landlord must make a GOOD FAITH effort in re-renting the property, which it sounds like he didn't! It is illegal for the landlord to collect rent from you AND another tenant.

Now being in West Virginny you have got a lot to learn about Rednecks and their low life behavior! You are in the Dumbest state in America thanks to your senator BYRD, hillbillies, close mnded backward LOSERS!

Great territory to rip people off on a religious scam due to their pitiful lives they lead.

So get with the program.... preachin about god is a second income to most of them, hell its better then workin overtime at the factory!

O

OCC123

Thank tiy for my response. My main concern is the issue of fraud. He says that I said we had 27 sponsors and that I misrepresnted myself, which I did not. I dont have the records to back who we originally had to sponsor our projects, but I do have

A) a lease that gave us time allowances to get donations (the rent due on the 15th instead of the 1st for the first two months)

B)a letter sent to him that says we had 15 sponsors, not 27 like he is saying but I have no solid proof of who these sponsors were.

C) a letter to verify my current employment at the time of the signing of the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">