• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leshka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

my dad was arrested on theft charges about 7 months ago. Let me quickly explain the details.
Myhiscomputers. About 2 months into my employment with the company, his boss said he can take laptops home to dissassemble so more work gets done. he took the laptops home as he needed them dissassembled urgently. After about a month of doing that, when loading boxes to take home again, his manager came up and put a sealed box in his suv and asked him to take the box over to his house. he didn't think much of it, thought he may be doing the same thing i'm and took the box to his house. This repeated 3 times. On this 3rd time, he started to think to himself that maybe this isn't right. So he told the guy (my manager) that he won't do this any more. He got mad and said he won't give him work home any more (which he believes the owner decides). In any case, a few weeks later, cops come and arrest my manager and my dad. Apparently, this guy has been stealing for a while now and sold parts to another guy who sold them on ebay.
At the station, both were questioned. My dad's english is very poor so they got a translator from work that translated the statement. The translation was incorrect. My dad said he thought maybe something is not right when he took boxes to the managers house, but translator put that he knew something illegal was going on.
So my dad got charged with count 4 theft, complicity to theft.
We hired an attorney and it seems this guy is not doing what he is supposed to do. Prosecution doesn't have anything else besides my dad's statement and that he took 3 boxes to the managers house during the 3 trips. Again, my dad had no clue what was in those boxes when he took them.
His manager confessed that he sold these parts to another guy. Appently his manager is sick with cancer and has nothing to lose(what he told the police). So basically my dad got set up here.
His manager's attorneys are dragging out this case so he doesn't go to jail and spends the rest of this left over life being free.Prosecution has offered my dad a deal....count 5 - complicity to theft, 30 nights in jail (first time offenders program) couple years of probation and $3k restitution. Our attorney says take the deal...we don't see why we should do that as my dad didn't do anything wrong. Please help me with this and give any good advise...ask questions if needed more info. Court date is scheduled for next week and we need to do something quickly.
Thank you in advance.

Peligroso

Your lawyer is absolutely doing what he is supposed to do. It just may nit be what you want him to do. My advice is to listen to what your attorney, that you paid to represent you, has told you to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">