• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please respond asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BAA96

California

Hello there.
For about two months money was transferred from a friend of mine's bank account into my account. The money was transferred using HIS mobile banking app on HIS smart phone. The amount is about 1,110$ altogether. His mother called me a few days later and said if I don't pay back the money she will file a report/complaint with the police. The mother of my friend, from what I know, is not the primary account holder from the account the money was transferred from. Is this significant in any way? What will happen if she files the report/complaint? Will they arrest me or must there be a formal investigation before hand? The report hasn't been filed yet but once it is, will I have to appear in court? This is my first and last issue with the law.

Thank you all for your time and responses

quincy

California

Hello there.
For about two months money was transferred from a friend of mine's bank account into my account. The money was transferred using HIS mobile banking app on HIS smart phone. The amount is about 1,110$ altogether. His mother called me a few days later and said if I don't pay back the money she will file a report/complaint with the police. The mother of my friend, from what I know, is not the primary account holder from the account the money was transferred from. Is this significant in any way? What will happen if she files the report/complaint? Will they arrest me or must there be a formal investigation before hand? The report hasn't been filed yet but once it is, will I have to appear in court? This is my first and last issue with the law.

Thank you all for your time and responses
Who transferred the money into your bank account, you or your friend?

If your friend, for what reason was it transferred?

If you, how did you get ahold of your friend's phone and account information?

How old are you and your friend?

CdwJava

California

Hello there.
For about two months money was transferred from a friend of mine's bank account into my account.
How??? By whom???

The money was transferred using HIS mobile banking app on HIS smart phone.
Have you asked him why HE transferred money to your account? or, who he thinks might have done it and why?

It seems odd that someone woudl transfer his money to your account.

His mother called me a few days later and said if I don't pay back the money she will file a report/complaint with the police. The mother of my friend, from what I know, is not the primary account holder from the account the money was transferred from. Is this significant in any way?
Is she on the account at all? is your friend a minor?

What will happen if she files the report/complaint? Will they arrest me or must there be a formal investigation before hand? The report hasn't been filed yet but once it is, will I have to appear in court? This is my first and last issue with the law.
*IF* the police investigate, then they almost certainly seek the bank records and want to speak with you. They may want to subpoena your phone/app records, and may even seek a search warrant for your phone itself. Maybe your friend's phone, too.

Whether the police will even investigate will depend on what the account holder has to say. If your friend says he was ripped off, they probably will. However, under CA law since last year, if the amount taken on each incident was less than $950 then it is petty theft and it is unlikely the police will waste a lot of time investigating. And, the bank may make your friend whole again if they determine that he was the victim of a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">