• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pointing and presenting a firearm....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BadJudgement

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Hello, I was convicted of 1 misdemeanor and 1 felony count of pointing and presenting a firearm June 2002. I was sentenced to 7 weekends of jail and 3 years of probation. Probation ends November 1st, 2005. I've been looking for quite a while now but haven't found anything that says specifically if P&P is considered a "crime of violence". Is it possible for me to own firearms if I was to get a Pardon? What are the laws regarding getting an expungement for this offense? Thanks for any help!!!

CdwJava

BadJudgement said:
Hello, I was convicted of 1 misdemeanor and 1 felony count of pointing and presenting a firearm June 2002. I was sentenced to 7 weekends of jail and 3 years of probation. Probation ends November 1st, 2005. I've been looking for quite a while now but haven't found anything that says specifically if P&P is considered a "crime of violence". Is it possible for me to own firearms if I was to get a Pardon? What are the laws regarding getting an expungement for this offense? Thanks for any help!!!
Contact the ATF or your Attorney General's office.

I know that in MY state that would be a violent felony ... we call it 'assault with a deadly weapon'. I can't imagine that it's different in SC.

- Carl

BadJudgement

Hmmm...I found this doing a different search...

SECTION 16-1-60. Violent crimes defined.

For purposes of definition under South Carolina law, a violent crime includes the offenses of: murder (Section 16-3-10); criminal sexual conduct in the first and second degree (Sections 16-3-652 and 16-3-653); criminal sexual conduct with minors, first and second degree (Section 16-3-655); assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct, first and second degree (Section 16-3-656); assault and battery with intent to kill (Section 16-3-620 ); kidnapping (Section 16-3-910); voluntary manslaughter (Section 16-3-50); armed robbery (Section 16-11-330(A)); attempted armed robbery (Section 16-11-330(B)); carjacking (Section 16-3-1075); drug trafficking, as defined in Sections 44-53-370(e) and 44-53-375(C); arson in the first degree (Section 16-11-110(A)); arson in the second degree (Section 16-11-110(B)); burglary in the first degree (Section 16-11-311); burglary in the second degree (Section 16-11-312(B)); engaging a child for a sexual performance (Section 16-3-810); homicide by child abuse (Section 16-3-85(A)(1)); aiding and abetting homicide by child abuse (Section 16-3-85(A)(2)); inflicting great bodily injury upon a child ( Section 16-3-95(A)); allowing great bodily injury to be inflicted upon a child (Section 16-3-95(B)); criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature (Section 16-25-65); abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult resulting in death (Section 43-35-85(F)); abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult resulting in great bodily injury (Section 43-35-85(E)); accessory before the fact to commit any of the above offenses (Section 16-1-40); attempt to commit any of the above offenses (Section 16-1-80); and taking of a hostage by an inmate (Section 24-13-450). Only those offenses specifically enumerated in this section are considered violent offenses.

SECTION 16-1-70. Nonviolent crimes.

For purposes of definition under South Carolina law a nonviolent crime is all offenses not specifically enumerated in Section 16-1-60.
It looks as though P&P is considered a nonviolent crime.

On the same web page I found that, it lists pointing a firearm at a person as a Class F felony....I didn't even know there was a Class F LoL!

BadJudgement

My username says it all LoL! It was bad judgement on my part on how to handle the situation correctly. I do admit that it wasn't the smartest thing to do but it kept a bad situation, started by a drunk passenger in a different vehicle, from getting worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">