• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police investigation on criminal case taking too long.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slavav50

The case is open in Columbia , S.C., Former business partner stole my identity in real estate business, and was buying homes, and land in my name, and fraudulently signing my name. He withdrew $60,000 from one of the closings. Investigator has been working on the case for 6 month with no result, communication etc. I have always asked the investigator on what is the status , and there is no result. How do I make them work faster on resolving the case? I have gave all the supporting documents to the investigator, videos and sound recordings. Is there anyone else I can go to that can take on this case seriously, and resolve it? :confused: I cannot afford any attorney right now.

CdwJava

Investigator has been working on the case for 6 month with no result, communication etc. I have always asked the investigator on what is the status , and there is no result. How do I make them work faster on resolving the case?
You cannot force them to work faster. Period.

About all you can do is maintain contact with the investigator and his or her supervisor to see that things are still moving along.

Unlike television, complicated cases that involve chasing paper trails can take a long time. There may have been issues that have arisen along the way that they have to address. When you are dealing with false identities you have to PROVE a lot of facts beyond a reasonable doubt. For instance, while it might be relatively easy to show that your ID was stolen, it might be harder to prove that a specific person did so. What the situation is in your case I can only guess.

So, maintain the lines of communication and keep touching base even if it is over the investigator's head.

And nothing should prevent you from filing a civil suit against the suspect if you feel you have enough to proceed (and that he has the means to pay you back, of course).

slavav50

General Questions.

I have already went to a small claims court against the suspect, since I lend his $6000. I filed three reports with 3 different police departments in the counties where the fraudulent signatures occurred. In the small claims court, the judge didn't even want to listen to me, and sided with the suspect. The suspects cousin is firefighter , and might have some kind of conspiracy with the judge. I would like to know is there anywhere else can I go while the investigation is in process? I also went to lawyer, and he ripped me off and didn't do anything. I understand that the police investigation is taking long time. I just don't feel protected, since every case has a time frame to open the civil action until it expires.

CdwJava

If all those police agencies AND a Small Claims Court have failed to provide the results you seek, it just might be that no offense or tort has occurred.

slavav50

Question

:confused: Can the detective working on the case ignore the case itself , and case in general ? It have been 8 month with no results. All of the conversation is over the phone and email. Is there anyone over the detective who can make him work faster.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You mean, is there someone who can force him to drop everything else that he's working on and let all the other cases he's responsible for sit, while he works exclusively on yours?

No, there isn't.

This isn't Law and Order. The investigators are not working exclusively on one case. An investigation takes as long as it takes. It's not a question of "working faster"; it's a question of what kinds of evidence he has to work with. He may have to wait for other people to get back to him, or to have documents reviewed by outside sources. And those outside sources also have other cases to work on as well. What makes your case so special that it should get individual attention?

CdwJava

:confused: Can the detective working on the case ignore the case itself , and case in general ? It have been 8 month with no results. All of the conversation is over the phone and email. Is there anyone over the detective who can make him work faster.
You can ask to speak to the investigator's supervisor, but the case may be slow for reasons beyond his control. Staffing, case load, priorities, and even availability of witnesses or sources of information can effect follow-up.

It could be that the case is not as solid as you think it is. It could be that the DA or a supervisor wants something more. Who knows?

But, you are certainly free to speak to the investigator's supervisor to see if someone can explain things to you.

As was pointed out, this is not television. Investigations in the real world can take a long time and are subject to all manner of variables outside the control of the investigator. I have a fraud case that I have been working for almost 6 months now, and it is because other events keep getting in the way, two people I need info from are reluctant to meet with me, and a source of documents I need is not returning my calls. Until I can get something from one or more of these investigative leads, my case is pretty much dead in the water.

However, nothing prevents you from suing the guy. If you feel you have a case and you can prove your side of the case, then take him to civil court. At least that way you can get something going that is based upon YOUR timetable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">