• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JCM27

What is the name of your state? Michigan

A false police report was filed accusing two kids of assault. The person who filed the report has admitted to doing it but not until a couple months went by. Does anyone have advice on how to prepare for the first meeting before a judge?

CdwJava

JCM27 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

A false police report was filed accusing two kids of assault. The person who filed the report has admitted to doing it but not until a couple months went by. Does anyone have advice on how to prepare for the first meeting before a judge?
Give the information to the defense attorney who can then arrange for a sworn statement by the original complainant admitting to the "false report".

Lacking a formal admission by the complainant, then the defense will have to bring forth witnesses who can act as rebuttal witnesses if the complainant takes the stand against the defendants.

Unless the complainant is willing to come clean in court or to the DA about his/her lies, then the defense will still have to put on a case.

- Carl

JCM27

CdwJava said:
Give the information to the defense attorney who can then arrange for a sworn statement by the original complainant admitting to the "false report".

Lacking a formal admission by the complainant, then the defense will have to bring forth witnesses who can act as rebuttal witnesses if the complainant takes the stand against the defendants.

Unless the complainant is willing to come clean in court or to the DA about his/her lies, then the defense will still have to put on a case.

- Carl
I wasn't clear in my original post...The issue is that my son is the one who made the false statement. He has admitted to this and will go before the judge in a couple of days. He's been told filing a false police report is a felony and although he didn't know how serious this was when he did it, that is still no excuse. He's scared to death (rightly so) and doesn't know what's in store or how to best prepare himself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CdwJava

I think that it shows incredible courage and a strong sense of ethical values to do the right thing - even after two months. But, to protect himself as best as possible, he will need an attorney to help direct his efforts. He may well face prosecution - and maybe even a civil suit from the accused parties. However, if the other parties were to be convicted or go to jail, then the moral and legal problems fr your son would only be compounded.

You should arrange for representation for your son immediately. Then go forward and do the right thing.

Good luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">