• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACS

texas

I am going to Washington DC in may. I had a good friend die in a shooting on Dupont Circle (robbery).

While Iam there, I was hoping to see the police report, or find out if they ever caught the person (s).

Would the police department provide me a police report on this matter? Also, this shooting was in 1986.

any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

JETX

"Would the police department provide me a police report on this matter?"
*** They MIGHT provide what is called a 'public report', giving only the bare minimum of information. Theoretically, you could also make a FOI request for the report.

"Also, this shooting was in 1986."
*** Then if they do have a copy, you should make your request early enough for them to pull the file from storage.

I would suggest that instead of the police report, go to the public library and do a search of the newspapers. Some papers are indexed with names.

ACS

Hi JETX and thank you for your reply.

Forgive my iggnorance, but what does FOI mean; Is it Freedom Of Information ACT?

I have searched the Washington DC papers through an internet service. I have also been working with their Main Library (a little) and can not find additional information about this shooting.

I actually learned about my....freind's death through the Washington Post , through an article about a shooting. I have actually done a lot of research tring to find the status of this incident, as wall as where he may be buried.

I was hoping that getting a police report would be easiler, LOL

So I guess I will call the police Dept in DC. They would have time to pull those records before I arrive in May.

Sounds logical?

L

loocpoc

For a copy of a police report in DC here is what you need to do (Taken from the Metropolitan Police website):

http://mpdc.dc.gov/serv/reports/reports.shtm

Police Reports

The Criminal Records Section (Criminal Justice Information Division) provides police reports and clearances for a small fee. Police reports are $3 each (no charge for complainants, their spouses, and parents/guardians). Police clearances are $7. Individuals must request this information in person or by traditional mail. Money orders are required for police clearances and all requests by mail, and are preferred for police reports. For details on obtaining these documents, use the links below:

Criminal Records Section (Criminal Justice Information Division) provides copies of Accident (PD-10s) and Incident Reports (PD-251s). Offense Reports are not made available to the public. However, you may request a related Incident Report for any Offense Report filed with the Metropolitan Police Department.

When an officer arrives on the scene for an automobile accident or for a simple assault, he/she will write an Accident Report (PD-10) or an Incident Report (PD-251). This report is given a six-digit identifying number. Please make a note of this number for future reference. (If you need to find out the report number, call the station of the police district that responded to the incident.) Copies of the PD-10 are usually given to insurance companies for claim purposes.

Effective February 3, 2003, the Criminal Records Section, as well as district stations, will provide copies of Incident Reports (PD-251s) free of charge at the request of the complainant, the complainant's spouse, or the parent or guardian of a juvenile complainant. The requester must appear in person and provide valid photo identification.

Persons living outside of the District, or who are otherwise unable to come to the office in person, may do the following:

Write a letter requesting your police clearance to:
Criminal Justice Information Division
300 Indiana Avenue NW, Room 3055
Washington, DC 20001
The letter must include the following information:
Full Name
Date of Accident or Incident
Location of Accident or Incident
Six Digit Report Number (CCN)
Time of Accident or Incident
Letter must be notarized by a Notary Public prior to mailing
Letter must include a $3 money order (no checks accepted) payable to: DC Treasurer
Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with your letter

Please allow six weeks for processing from the date the report is made.

For more information or additional assistance contact (202) 727-8539.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the US Attorney's Office does all the prosecutions in DC, you can also get a copy of the prosecution from them and most likely a copy of the trial transcript from the DC Superior Court.

I've seen lots of public police reports... and usually the only information redacted are the names. Handy hint: the redactions are usually done quickly and if held up to the light... you can read the names anyways.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">