• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession of alcohol by a minor in a mv

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lsds540

my 17yr old was arrested for possession of alcohol by a minor in a mv. He had been drinking earlier and fell asleep in the rear seat of his car. There was beer in the car which my son does not know how it got there. He went to court and is doing the 1st offenders program. He has to go to Connecticut MVD hearing to
"respond to the charge that he was under the legal drinking age while operating a mv in which beer was found.a violation of Section14-111a of the CT General Statues.
He was not operating the car he was asleep in the back.
Should he have a lawyer for this hearing?
Should we get some type of letter from the court prosecutor?
Will he automatically have his license suspended because of the possession of alcohol that was in his car?
Thank you for any advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lsds540 said:
my 17yr old was arrested for possession of alcohol by a minor in a mv. He had been drinking earlier and fell asleep in the rear seat of his car. There was beer in the car which my son does not know how it got there. He went to court and is doing the 1st offenders program. He has to go to Connecticut MVD hearing to
"respond to the charge that he was under the legal drinking age while operating a mv in which beer was found.a violation of Section14-111a of the CT General Statues.
He was not operating the car he was asleep in the back.
Should he have a lawyer for this hearing?
Should we get some type of letter from the court prosecutor?
Will he automatically have his license suspended because of the possession of alcohol that was in his car?
Thank you for any advice.
My response:

I'm sorry, but why are you concerned about something that your 17 year old caused? The lesson he'll learn will be invaluable for his future, and the $3,000.00 to $6,000.00 for the attorney's fees will be better spent on your trip to the Bahamas, or saved for your retirement.

You can't possibly believe that this is the "first time" he's been drunk while in, or operating, a vehicle - - do you? Rather, it's probably the "first time" he was caught. If you come to his aid without him feeling the full "sting" of the legal system, and potentially spending a week or two behind bars, then you're just going to "enable" him to do this again.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">