• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Extortion/Blackmail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chewlu

Hawaii

I am currently in the process of backing out of a realty contract and I am not using any of the contingencies for exiting. I was aware that I would have to sacrifice my deposit, which is fine. Additionally, the seller has demanded an additional $3,200.00 to cover his lost rental due to my backing out. He asked for it, and followed it with some additional information. That he is a police officer (Honolulu PD), and that if I don't pay him he will contact my commanding officer (I am active duty military). Is he allowed to threaten my career/reputation like that especially after making a specific remark to his being a police officer? Thanks in advance for any help with this!

P.S. I am meeting with my realtor on Thursday to go over all of my options for either going through with this sale, or backing out.

CdwJava

How is his saying he will contact your commanding officer a threat?

It's not exactly extortion, either.

If he contacts your C.O., what's the worst that he can say? That you are not going to go through with escrow? :eek:

Work with your realtor as planned, and take the legal exit options available to you.

OHRoadwarrior

He is not extorting you. He is questioning your credibility and notifying your command of such. They may deem it relevant and hold it against you in assignments or they might not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">