• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible gun charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nathanaaron

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
A couple weeks ago I caught one of my old friends trying to Rob my house, i called the police and told them and I had talked to the dectitive and the person who tried to rob me said I had a possession of a handgun because he was the one who gave it to me so I turned it in and a few days later the dectitive said the serial number was scratched off, but I didn't even know it was before he told me what do you think will happen to me?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
A couple weeks ago I caught one of my old friends trying to Rob my house, i called the police and told them and I had talked to the dectitive and the person who tried to rob me said I had a possession of a handgun because he was the one who gave it to me so I turned it in and a few days later the dectitive said the serial number was scratched off, but I didn't even know it was before he told me what do you think will happen to me?
You could face criminal charges. Was your friend who was caught burglarizing your house arrested or charged?

Nathanaaron

Thanks for the help but ya he was arrested and then he confused it but when I talked to the dectitive he said I have a 50/50 chance of getting charged with the firearm

OHRoadwarrior

It is illegal in OH to possess a firearm with the serial number scratched off.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.201
2923.201 Possessing a defaced firearm

swalsh411

You were under no duty to give it to them. If they had a legal right to take it they wouldn't ask but rather get a warrant.

Say nothing more to the police. I cannot stress this enough. If arrested, refuse to answer any questions.

OHRoadwarrior

Alright thanks for the advice but What do you think will happen
I would hire a lawyer ASAP to discuss the issue with the police/prosecutor before they decide to press charges. It appears clear you blundered into this. It also appears clear they know it. If you have any influential friends, now is the time to call them.

OHRoadwarrior

What do you think the dectitive meant by a 50/50 chance of me taking the charge or do you think it was bs?
I think he realized you fell into the crime and wanted to consult someone higher to see what the executive/prosecutorial decision is. Police officers have certain levels of discretion at their level.

For example, I was near our high school and a pickup truck full of kids stopped, to see if another friend wanted a ride. As she was jumping into the bed of the truck to illegally ride, another student popped up to take her book bag. They both them laid down in the bed so they could not be seen, while going down the road. They did this in front of a police officer, who I know for a fact watched them do it. His level of discretion permitted him to ignore the situation, since they both ducked back down.

OHRoadwarrior

Do you think knowing about a lot drug dealers will help in this case too?
I would wait to use any info to "make a deal" until you have been charged and have a lawyer to negotiate. You do not want to encourage them to press the charges to see how long and hard you squeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">