• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible identity theft, need some advice ASAP.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

genoj

What is the name of your state? Texas.

I really don't know what to make of this or what to do.

My father rents houses out independently in our hometown. In early July of 2001, he offered the house to a close friend of mine at a cheap rate. My friend agreed to rent the house out with another friend of his.

At my father's suggestion, we put the phone bill in my name so I could establish some credit. The rent and all the bills were faithfully paid on time.

In August of 2002, my close friend moved out of the house, leaving HIS friend there on his own. There was no issue with this since the rent continued to be paid on time.

In July of 2003, my father had asked me to contact this tenant about the rent being slightly past due. I called the phone number to find that it had been disconnected due to non-payment. I immediately called the phone company to find out what was going on.

I found out that the phone bill had not been paid in almost two months. It was also brought to my attention that the phone service had been interrupted several times within the past couple of months. The representative I spoke with notified me that this past due account was close to being sent to collections.

This upset me, and I quickly paid off the account and closed it to avoid it being sent to a collection agency. I received a confirmation number from the agent and was assured that the account balance was at $0. I even placed a password on the closed account, stating that anyone who wished to re-open it had to verify that password.

One month later, I decided to open up another phone line at my new place of residence. I did so with no problems and kept that bill current.

It's now February of 2004. Last month I relocated to Michigan in search of more career opportunities. Just before switching my Texas cellphone number over to a Michgian number, I received a phone call from a collection agency stating that I had a past due balance with the phone company totalling almost $1,100. I was shocked. I asked how this could have happend and I was told that in Oct and Nov of 2002, numerous international calls to Mexico were placed on the phone located in our tenant's house. I informed the agent that I closed that account in July of 2003, paying the balance off in full and placing a password on it. I also informed the agent that I was told that the balance at the time of closing was $0 and in fact I was allowed to open up another account with the same phone company almost a month later. The agent could not explain how this "mix-up" happened, but insisted that the debt was mine and I owed it.

I called the phone company directly to try and find out some more information. I was told by an agent that the debt did in fact occur in Nov of 2002. I was told then that the international long distance bill was piling up so high that SBC froze the long distance account and opened up another account (different account #) that was only allowed to make local calls.

I don't know what to make of this. I'm in Michigan now so everything is taking twice as long. If my tenant did make these international calls, is that considered identity theft? Or... why did SBC allow other accounts to be created if this huge debt was never paid off? I just don't understand.

I need to be steered in some sort of direction. Please help.

racer72

It's not ID theft, you authorized the account. Your only course of action is to pay the bill and sue the person responsible for the bill in court.

G

genoj

Hi and thanks for responding.

The only issue that has me confused is that the phone company told me a new account was started after the international calling account was closed. This happened in Nov 2002. This was done without my knowledge or consent. This generated two account numbers. Again, I was unaware of this until recently.

In July 03, when I realized the phone was disconnected due to non-payment, I called to pay off the bill (apparently on the 2nd account #, I was unaware of any 2nd account at that time). I was told that the bill was $100. I paid it off and I was told I had a $0 balance as of July 03. The account was then closed.

Now, it's the beginning of 2004 and this is the first time I've heard about a debt for $1100 originating Nov 2002. When I closed the account in July 2003, I had no knowledge of a prior account with a $1100 balance, nor was that information brought to my attention at that time.

This is why I don't know how to go about this. I feel misled by the phone company for waiting until now to notify me of this $1100 debt. I also am wondering whether or not the tenant authorized the opening of a 2nd account without my consent.

Also, I have a copy of my credit report from August of 2003. This debt is not on it.

I appreciate you taking the time to take a look at my post. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

stephenk

have your dad pay the bill since he was the one that suggested the phone bill be in your name. That wasn't a smart move on his part.

G

genoj

Hmm I guess I have to do what I have to do then.

To those who read and responded: thank you.

Beth3

"At my father's suggestion, we put the phone bill in my name so I could establish some credit" You have learned the hard way NEVER to let anyone put anything in your name. Don't ever agree to this again! (Same goes for co-signing loans, too.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">