• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible license plate fraud charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

autoinmichigan

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Recently a friend I work with in the auto industry was called by the local police on behalf of one the automakers for having a plate that was not licensed to him.
Apparently he filed an application for a plate with his company name, paid the registration fee and the material was sent to him.
He's had the plate for almost a year. The auto is saying that the plate was filed under the wrong name (Their name) and that they were ticked off because "They " were paying for it.

Now the individual had receipts with the SOS showing he paid for the plate and material himself. The police asked for him to make copies of his documentation and hand over the plate, which he did immediately since the police said it was not his but someone else. (Even though he had receipts for his payment) He was actually told he did not have to give the plate back, but that it would help the investigators if he did. He didn't want a plate that appeared to be illegal anyways. Not hard to go get another one anyways. The police said they would return the plate after a detective investigated the situation.
Its only been a week since this happened, but the local police haven't been to receptive in keeping jon updated, the guy from the auto hasn't been to receptive either.

Should my friend be worried? If so what kind of law does this violate? I'm thinking it falls under some sort of obtaining a license plate under false terms or something along the lines? Fraud?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">