• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Non-Disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shogun30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I have been alleged with criminal trespassing and destruction of property under 5K by a crazy neighbor.

The alleging party has requested
1) I pay for the damage
2) I write a letter of apology( which must also be a letter of admission)

If I do that the case will be closed.

In the interest of settling this issue as cost effectively as possible, it would seem that NOT going to trial would be prudent, even though I'm confident we would win the case. I'd rather spend 5K and NOT HAVE the satisfaction of proving him wrong, than spend 25K and HAVE the satisfaction of proving him wrong.

Can someone help provide me with some options on how to prevent the Letter of Apology with Admission of the Crime from being used by him for other purposes. Basically, I'll write anything he wants me to write provided he cant legally do anything with it or show anyone the letter.

Ideas Anyone?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

davew128

I'll lay it out there for you: If you write a letter of apology you're admitting guilt and will be dealt with accordingly. If you didn't in fact do these crimes, then writing this letter is what would call being an idiot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">