• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Punishment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

omacstud

A friend of mine was arrested this evening for allegedly making a series of prank phone calls. From what i understand these werent your typical prank calls as the story goes that he was telling people they may have come into contact with the SARS virus, and asked them to come down for testing. I know its a horrible thing to do and what not, but what could he be charged with, and what kind of punishment would he be looking at? Like i said while it was a stupid thing to do, but it seems to me that there are worse things a person can do than make prank phone calls while intoxicated.

HomeGuru

omacstud said:
A friend of mine was arrested this evening for allegedly making a series of prank phone calls. From what i understand these werent your typical prank calls as the story goes that he was telling people they may have come into contact with the SARS virus, and asked them to come down for testing. I know its a horrible thing to do and what not, but what could he be charged with, and what kind of punishment would he be looking at? Like i said while it was a stupid thing to do, but it seems to me that there are worse things a person can do than make prank phone calls while intoxicated.
**A: is this friend a minor or adult? Does he/she have a criminal record? How did this person get busted? Where does he work and what do you mean he told people to "come down for testing?" Where is down?

O

omacstud

My friend is 20 years old, so he is obviously an adult. I dont know the specifics of his record, but while i do know he's never served time in prison, he has had to pay large fines. Whether or not that gives him a criminal record i am not sure, but from what i understand they shouldnt be considered a criminal offenses. By "coming down for testing", i can only assume that these people were told to come down to the hospital. However just to update you, these calls were apparently made on Friday evening, and on the night in question, he and I had gone to the bar fairly early in the evening and while i was intoxicated myself, this friend of mine never left my site for an extended period of time, and has told me that he lost his cell phone shortly after we got there. The phone was returned to him (he found it in his mailbox the following day meaning the person who had the phone knew my friend, and knew where he lived). Clearly if the phone was missing for the entire evening, whoever picked up the phone is responsible for the calls. I spoke to this friend of mine this morning and he was charged with 17 counts of basically making prank calls (can't recall the exact name of the charge). He has told me that all 17 counts are criminal offenses which i can only assume can carry jail time? Can someone please help explain this to me? Is it possible for charges to be this serious on what essentially amounts to prank calls? I believe my friend when he tells me he didnt make the calls as the timeline just doesnt fit seeing as i was with him the entire night, but im still a little worried for him. Any help would be great!

O

omacstud

Then maybe you cant help me, i live in Canada. However, if you had an opinion as to what may come of it, i would still apreciate hearing it.

JETX

Here it could be considered a 'terroristic threat'. In Canada, it is probably called "Lebatt blather'.

O

omacstud

Yeah thats hilarious...perhaps if you spelt it right it would be funnier...It's "Labatt".

But hey, at least its better than that horse piss you guys drink down there. Whats the alcohol content in Bud? .5%?

D

DogToenails

Bud's alcohol content is just shy of causing 17 counts of criminal behavior...oops...behaviour.

Where do the cell-phone records say the calls were made from? Near where you will testify where your friend was all night?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">