• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible scam my cousin could be getting in to by an inmate she is writing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedPenguin

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I live in Pennsylvania but have a cousin who lives in Arkansas. She's writing an inmate who lives in Pennsylvania, and he has told her this.

Because she doesn't have enough money for a car that he will, even though he's behind bars, have a 2008 Lexus car sent to her house as part of a "business deal".

He claims that he's going in to a "securities" business where he was supposed to be given a "down payment" from somebody, but just said he wanted a car sent to her instead.

He seems hesitant to talk on the phones and claims he will really talk to her about the deal in person and doesn't seem to care to talk when he's asked about the "deal" on the phone.

He claims he wants to get married to her yet after he already claims he wants her, he put up another prison ad for another woman. He also claims to have been involved in a Mafia or Mafia-like lifestyle, he even says it on his prison pen pal ads.

Does it sound most likely that my cousin could be having some serious trouble coming her way?

Don't get me wrong, I don't go with the thought that all prisoners are always bad people and never change, but this guy has been serving 33 years for murder he claims, and I just find it weird how a guy in prison is just going to send some girl he never met in person a "$60k Lexus". That's how much he claims the Lexus will be worth that he has pulled up to her house.

las365

You really don't need anyone to tell you what you already know. This guy is full of it. He is trying to get her to send him money. She is an idiot if she falls for this.

It is astonishing that so many women want "relationships" with convicted murderers and felons with whom they first make contact after the crime and conviction.

How much money has she sent to him so far?

RedPenguin

None actually

Well to tell you the honest truth, she actually has not sent him any money. So far, he actually pays for the calls which has actually always amazed me.

He has never flat out asked her for money, but he's always telling her that when and if he gets out that he wants to get married to her and live in Brigantine, NJ (near Atlantic City, NJ).

I figured that he probably wanted to get money out of her somehow but it didn't sound like the normal every day "money-getting-scheme", I mean because he pays for the calls and so far she hasn't sent him any money.

I figured maybe he has some kind of scheme to make the girl think they're together and that he doesn't want money to just get money, but like almost force her into sending money thinking she's doing the right thing and is getting a car.

I think he will probably end up saying something like, well I need so much money before you get the car because of some "problem".

My only question is, say the odd chance, which is extremely slim, that he would actually have a car delivered to her house, what would she actually do, could she be entered in to some deep s***?

las365

My only question is, say the odd chance, which is extremely slim, that he would actually have a car delivered to her house, what would she actually do, could she be entered in to some deep s***?
In the unlikely event that a car is delivered to her on behalf of or by this man, she should probably call the police.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
This is definitely a scam. I don't know how, but I guarantee you it is. Please don't let not being able to figure out what it is lull you into believing it might be legitimate. Just a few days ago I was on a web site for people whose loved ones/penpals/whatevers are in prison, reading a thread about the scams they pull. It's unbelievable how clever some of them are (if they're that smart, you'd think they could have made honest money!) but it's more unbelievable how even the most obvious ones find some gullible sucker to fall for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">