• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post office delivered my medication to wrong address...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marine_clark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I get a controlled substance from the VA hospital through the mail. Every month the postman comes to my house either my wife or I sign a confirmation receipt and that's it.

I didn't get my medicine last month. I called this morning and the VA told me that the medicine was delivered on July 28th at 3:15 PM. They told me the name of the person who signed the confirmation. I got the tracking number and called the post office.

The postmaster looked it up and sure enough the medicine was delivered at the wrong address. They gave me the address it was delivered at and told me to file a police report.

I went to the police station and at first they didn't want to help me because they thought I was some loser trying to get free meds. When they called the post office they finally believed me and they told me that the postmaster said this happens all the time! The people who accepted my meds also have medications delivered to them in the mail each month. The post office said it was an accident.

The police went to the persons house and they weren't home. They said that at this time they couldn't confirm foul play. I got my police report so I can fax it to the VA and get another prescription.

I'm assuming the post office is at fault here. But isn't accepting someone elses medications through the mail a felony? What can anyone do about this? It's a pill that has the potential to be abused and I'm wondering if these people might have gotten it and been like "oh wow look here's some _______ for free." and have decided to take it. It worries me because I need the medicine and I'm kinda suffering right now without it. Can I sue the post office or the postal service for neglegence?

I also want to add that the medication had a SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. And this guys name isn't anywhere close to mine. He signed for MY meds and neither he nor the postman noticed this! He also lives about ten miles from me in another town.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

USPS signature confirmation doesn't require the signature of the addressee just someone at the delivery address. You should send the VA the information from the post office proving you were not the recipient and demand they resend you your medication. The rest is neither your concern nor responsibility.

marine_clark

USPS signature confirmation doesn't require the signature of the addressee just someone at the delivery address. You should send the VA the information from the post office proving you were not the recipient and demand they resend you your medication. The rest is neither your concern nor responsibility.
Well for one it wasn't even delivered to my address. I could understand a friend or family member signing for my meds if they are at my home and answer the door. But to deliver a package that requires a signature confirmation at the WRONG address is really stupid on the postal delivery carrier.

A police officer got my meds from the person at the address and brought them to me today. They weren't opened.

I'm really upset that the postal carrier could do something so stupid. I would like to sue the postal carrier because they caused me to have to go without my medication for a week and I started to have withdrawal symptoms, I also had to spend my time hunting my meds down and talking to the police, and the paperwork in my package had my social security number, address, and birthdate and the person could have stolen my identity.

I'd like to sue the carrier personally. Does anyone think I could do this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The carrier personally? For making a mistake? They made a mistake, yes. But so did the person who signed for the medicine. What may have happened is your meds got mixed in with the delivery of their meds and it was an honest mistake that they signed for a bunch of stuff at once without paying much attention. Smart? No. But criminal? Not likely.
Can you sue? Yes. Will you win? Not likely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">