• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pressing charges for $22 in discounts.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

knelaw

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My daughter was terminated by a retail store for giving herself to much of a discount ($22). Which I am not saying they cannot do.
However, she is 17 and they kept her in the office for 3.5hrs and denied her a phone call to a parent.

When the police spoke to my wife after the interview they supposedly were upset with the store for detaining her that long with no break, offer of drink. They also said it was trivial as to the need to press charges on a $22 accusation.

My daughter did offer to pay any difference or money owed to which they flatly refused and in turn or pressing charges.

Is there any way I can defend her in having this $22 dollar incident on her record? Was the store neglegent in the method of ther interrogation?

I do believe she has learned a valuable lesson but to have this on her record is somewhat harsh especially when we are willing to pay them the $22.

What, if any, avenues do I have?

Son of Slam

knelaw said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

My daughter was terminated by a retail store for giving herself to much of a discount ($22). Which I am not saying they cannot do.
However, she is 17 and they kept her in the office for 3.5hrs and denied her a phone call to a parent.

When the police spoke to my wife after the interview they supposedly were upset with the store for detaining her that long with no break, offer of drink. They also said it was trivial as to the need to press charges on a $22 accusation.

My daughter did offer to pay any difference or money owed to which they flatly refused and in turn or pressing charges.

Is there any way I can defend her in having this $22 dollar incident on her record? Was the store neglegent in the method of ther interrogation?

I do believe she has learned a valuable lesson but to have this on her record is somewhat harsh especially when we are willing to pay them the $22.

What, if any, avenues do I have?

Why are you trying to give back that "valuable lesson" ?

K

knelaw

valuable lesson?

The lesson has been given; but the problem is that of a 17yr old having to find a job and putting on an application that she was arrested. I don't think $22 is grounds for throwing the book at someone for life.

The only solution i have found so far is that of asking for this situation to be sealed? if that is an option. But thats why I am asking for options.

The fact the she was interrogated by a company unwilling to properly discapline or to educate a postion in which this is happens is sad. I do think the punishment should fit the crime.

If there are no avenues for me then I've at least investigated.

Your Name

A girl working a Burger King was sent on break. She took $5 from the register to pay for her meal and when her parents brought her $5 she returned it to the register.

She was charged with imbezzlement. The company wanted to make an example to other employees and was not necessarily worried about the $5.

I would guess that the company your child worked for is doing the same. They are not worried about the $22 just the principle of the matter. Unfortunately, you cannot learn a "Valuable Lesson" unless you pay for it. If she gets off she will just blow it off as if it were easy.

It breaks my heart to see someone's life treated this way but she is probably an example. Other than winning on some loophole such as "wasn't offered a drink", she's in deep.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">