• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pressuring Postal Inspectors to investigate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kfox39

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

Can anyone advise how to induce the US Postal Inspectors to take action on a complaint they have chosen not to investigate ? i.e. Is there a federal 'ombudsman' to help the little guy ?

My late wife (a cancer victim) was defrauded of $20,000+ by a Calif chiropractor using the mail and her credit card. A particularly despicable case, dr defrauding his patient and furthermore continuing to defraud her estate for 2 months after her death.

This dr fraudulently:
a) added himself to my wife's credit card, becoming an authorized user
b) raised the credit limit
c) changed the account billing address to his own PO Box and received bills there and made token payments ( !!!! )
d) charged > $20,000 to his patient's credit card ( amusement parks, cell phones, travel) and continued for 2 months after her death.

I had expected the US Postal service to be very territorial and be very aggressive involving " a crime in which the U.S. Mail is used to futher a scheme "

I filed a complaint Postal Fraud complaint but they decided to not take action.
Apparently they have to "pick their battles" and select high dollar "easy to prosecute" cases.

Their rationale for not investigating was:
a) the amount involved, $20,000 was below their threshold
b) altho all the calls to the credit card co were made from the dr's cell phone, the Postal Inspectors thought it would be hard to prove that it was actually the *dr* making the call, not the (late) patient.What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

Have you spoken to the responsible law enforcement agency? They might be more likely to pursue the matter as fraud is a state crime.

- Carl

kfox39

Local law enforcement

Good point. Yes, a criminal atty I hired (to get the dr prosecuted) worked closely with Los Angeles PD, Fraud/Forgery Div. But unfortunately, in the eyes of BofA & LAPD, since the dr signed a (worthless, now defaulted) Promissory Note, thereby "compensating the victim", it became a Civil Matter. That was actually also the Postal Inspector's final rationale for not "presenting the case " to the U.S. Atty for prosecution.

The Calif Bd of Chir Examiners (the licensing authority) is investigating my complaint and may pull his license. They could be almost as good an outcome as incarceration. "Dr using patient's credit card for a month after patient's death" could clinch it. ;)

But re lack of a federal Ombudsman, some alternatives are:
1) Use of politial influence, eg a Congressman -or-
2) Direct appeal to the regional US Atty or even Dept of Justice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">