• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preventing Identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mole

What is the name of your state? MN

Some time within the last few weeks I have misplaced or lost my wallet. I have looked everywhere. Fortunately for some reason I had my Driver's license, and ATM/Check Card in my pocket so they weren't stolen. The bad news is I had my social security number and a copy of my birth certificate for job interviews in my wallet. I know both are a big no no to carry around because of getting stolen/lost but I needed to have them. In this day in age I'm a bit concerned about identity theft. Does anyone know what if any steps I can take besides calling Equifax, Experian, Trans Union and the SSA fraud line. To my knowledge the SS card hasn't been used for anything, and I don't have any credit cards yet so if I start getting bills I'll know it wasn't me. Should I even bother contacting the credit companies since I don't have any credit in the first place? Do I just wait it out and see if my wallet gets turned into the police, I'm not sure if I even have a current phone number or address in it. I'm guessing/ hoping if it was turned into the police they could track me down via my SS#, or looking up my name, or my health care cards. Any advice? I'm worried but not too much because they don't have any sort of check or credit card. How much danger could I be in?
Freaked out in MN
-Mole

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">