• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dudleyfive

My husband's ex came into our home this evening and recorded our conversation without our knowledge. We only found out because she pressed the wrong button by accident and it started to play back. I see that there is a one party law in regards to recording conversations here in Virginia but this was in our home and it was a face-to-face conversation. Is this illegal and/or is there anything we can do about it?

HomeGuru

My husband's ex came into our home this evening and recorded our conversation without our knowledge. We only found out because she pressed the wrong button by accident and it started to play back. I see that there is a one party law in regards to recording conversations here in Virginia but this was in our home and it was a face-to-face conversation. Is this illegal and/or is there anything we can do about it?
**A: how was the conversation recorded? Telephone answering machine, recording device.

Is it illegal? No
Is there anything you can do about it? No

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't understand...this was not in a public place. Don't we have an expectation of privacy in our own home?
Your state is a one party state. She was participating in the conversation if she was there. Though you might try to split hairs that any time it was just you and your husband speaking that that was an illegal recording as she was not conversing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">