• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xamandanoelx

Hi, my fiance' and I live in Ohio. A couple years ago we broke up and I got a protection order against him. He broke it a couple times and got charged with a felony, which only led to probation. Last March we decided to get back together, and I went to court and dropped the protection order. After that, the police and others told us we were free to see each other. Then we got engaged. He went to check in with his probation officer later and he all of the sudden tells him "Well you cannot be seeing her, because that is a part of your probation." Naturally, I have had to postpone wedding plans which have screwed up a lot of things. Well, since then he has gone to see his PO 3 times and keeps telling him he is still seing me and the guy hever does anything. He asks him when he is going to be let off of probation since his PO had said a while back that it would be dropped early since the protection order has been dropped. Now, he just tells him "I get to let you off whenever I want." (Like it is some power game). Now, we are left never knowing what day we can plan a wedding for...I have a few questions: Shouldn't that not be a part of his probation since the order was dropped and it was based on that to begin with? Would he get in big trouble if we just went ahead with wedding plans? Would we be able to apply for a marriage license? And is there anyway this Probation officer is toying with him, and he could be released right now anyway?? Is there anything we can do???

FlyingRon

Generally you don't get "let off" your probation just because you think you haven't been dong nothing. That's what probation is to insure. As for the probation condition that he stay away from you, the PO may or may not have the discretion to modify that restriction (depends whether it came from the court or not).

It might help if you could get the court that removed the protection order to send that information to the probation department.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">