• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Probation a Conviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zhondreya

What is the name of your state?
Rhode Island
I got three years of probation for felony and misdemeanor charges and my public defender told me that since I didn't go to jail, it's not considered a conviction. However, I lost my job because my fingerprints came back with a hit on them. I need to know what to put on my job applications because I don't want to lie.
I also have more questions regarding probation on felony charges so please contact me if you can provide more information. Thank you

Last edited:

enjay

Probation is a conviction unless you received Probation Before Judgement which is unlikely on several felony and misdemeanor charges.

H

hmmbrdzz

Perhaps you misunderstood your attorney, or perhaps he flat out lied to you, or perhaps you've got a conviction showing up from another charge in your lifetime. Call the county court house (or counties you have been arrested in) and find out how you get a copy of your criminal record. That way, you'll know what to explain on your job applications because that is what is going to show up when an employer runs a check. On your job applications, you need to tell the truth. When it asks, have you ever been arrested and convicted of a crime, if you have been convicted, you need to put "yes" and then explain it on a separate sheet.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">