• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MN_me

What is the name of your state? MN

I have a bro-in-law who is 19 now and in jail in WI. His friends, who were all in a gang, planned to rob a store. They robbed the place, shot a woman (who survived), and they got caught. My bro got caught for aiding and abbetting because he mentioned the security camera locations in the store, and he knew what they were doing. This being a gang doesn't make it easier. I'm past that. It's his stupidity and punishment. Fine. He's been in jail over a year now and he's to be out in November. He tells us he's been told he'll probably be put on five years or so probation.

We just want to get him away from the influence of his friends once he's out. We want him to stay with us in MN. He's told his PO and public defender that, and they tell him it won't be allowed, which boggles my mind. I'm not familiar with all this. Is there a way we can transfer his probation case to MN? Any help would be appreciated.

Indiana Filer

MN_me said:
What is the name of your state? MN

We just want to get him away from the influence of his friends once he's out. We want him to stay with us in MN. He's told his PO and public defender that, and they tell him it won't be allowed, which boggles my mind. I'm not familiar with all this. Is there a way we can transfer his probation case to MN? Any help would be appreciated.
You have to get your brother's probation officer, the chief probation officer, and the judge to agree to allow him to move to another jurisdiction. In addition, the probation office for your area would have to be willing to accept supervision of his case. The original probation office doesn't have to allow him to leave the area, and the other jurisdiction doesn't have to accept him.

If he leaves the state, even for just a simple daytrip, without permission of his probation officer, he is in violation and a PTR (petition to revoke) could be filed causing him to be arrested. One of the terms of his probation will probably be that he has to agree to not leave the state without permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">