• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firstman692002

North carolina. I was convicted of grand larceny almost eight years ago. I was given five years probation and restitution. After the five years was up I hadn't been able to pay back all the money. I was violated at that time. The judge extended my probation and ordered me to pay sixty dollars a month. I have been diligently. My question is, what happens after the extension is up? I still owe a lot of money.

Isis1

North carolina. I was convicted of grand larceny almost eight years ago. I was given five years probation and restitution. After the five years was up I hadn't been able to pay back all the money. I was violated at that time. The judge extended my probation and ordered me to pay sixty dollars a month. I have been diligently. My question is, what happens after the extension is up? I still owe a lot of money.
okay. this is a math question. i've had coffee and i still don't want to pull out my calculator.

so....how much do you still owe? how much will you still owe when your extension is up?

have you paid every single payment on time since your last violation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I still will owe something like 16000. I have not missed a payment since I was violated.
You never INCREASED the payments? You do realize that, at the rate you are going, it will take another 22 years for you to finish paying, right? I think it's time to starting paying more than the bare minimum.

firstman692002

I have 6 months left to pay. I could never come up with the amount I owe in that amount of time. My family lives on very little money. That aside, my question still remains. What happens next?

Isis1

you were given five years.

you were given a second chance.

now....two things can happen.

one....the judge decides to set a lump sum and toss you in jail until you come up with that sum....

two....the judge decides to set another extension and monitor payments again.

there may be other options. this isn't a fine. this is payback what you stole.

you might consider taking additional employment or some sort of loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">