• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation revocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zach_w

A friend was sentenced to a boot camp style prison for a few months to be followed by 2 years of intense supervised pobation. The probation included 90 days of electronic monitoring, finding and holding a job, attending narcotics/alcoholics anonymous meetings, paying monthly court fines, no alcohol or drugs, 6-12 months in a halfway house, not leave the state, and regular meetings with the probation officer.

After 1 month of failing to abide by the conditions of electronic monitoring the judge gave a stern lecture to listen to the probation officer and there would be a follow up in 1 month. The following month the judge imposed a 90 day sentence for failing to meet the conditions of electronic monitoring even after the lecture the month before.

After release from jail s/he went into a third halfway house and was subsequently evicted after less than 6 weeks, which was the second house in which they were evicted. Since that time they have not had a formal address and has been drinking nightly while also doing drugs. S/he has only had a job for about 3 days after being released from jail and before jail had 2 jobs that lasted about 4 weeks and 5 days.

S/he said the probation officer has revoked probation but s/he is still free and continuing to drink and get high. When asked why there is no court date and not in jail s/he said "maybe they will just let it drop." S/he also said s/he hasn't met with the probation officer in 3 weeks.

If the probation officer suspects s/he has violated most conditions of probation then why have law enforcement not taken s/he into custody?

Probation would formally end next June so what could the sentence be if the court finds s/he in violation of probation?

BL

A friend was sentenced to a boot camp style prison for a few months to be followed by 2 years of intense supervised pobation. The probation included 90 days of electronic monitoring, finding and holding a job, attending narcotics/alcoholics anonymous meetings, paying monthly court fines, no alcohol or drugs, 6-12 months in a halfway house, not leave the state, and regular meetings with the probation officer.

After 1 month of failing to abide by the conditions of electronic monitoring the judge gave a stern lecture to listen to the probation officer and there would be a follow up in 1 month. The following month the judge imposed a 90 day sentence for failing to meet the conditions of electronic monitoring even after the lecture the month before.

After release from jail s/he went into a third halfway house and was subsequently evicted after less than 6 weeks, which was the second house in which they were evicted. Since that time they have not had a formal address and has been drinking nightly while also doing drugs. S/he has only had a job for about 3 days after being released from jail and before jail had 2 jobs that lasted about 4 weeks and 5 days.

S/he said the probation officer has revoked probation but s/he is still free and continuing to drink and get high. When asked why there is no court date and not in jail s/he said "maybe they will just let it drop." S/he also said s/he hasn't met with the probation officer in 3 weeks.

If the probation officer suspects s/he has violated most conditions of probation then why have law enforcement not taken s/he into custody?

Probation would formally end next June so what could the sentence be if the court finds s/he in violation of probation?
First the PO must formally file to violate him/her . The PO may be waiting to see if she/he shows for the appointment and indicate then that a violation will be formally filed and that she/he will be notified of the court date . Meantime she/he may let go free .

It will be up to a Judge to decide .

It's been know in small rural areas where law enforcement is aware of those on probation , where they see a violation , to call the local PO or magistrate that imposed probation , and take the probationer in front of the magistrate , even in the middle of the night , and the Judge will violate and sentence to jail .

zach_w

Thank you for your answer.

About 10 days ago I called adult probation and asked if probation had been revoked as my friend indicated it has been. The office told me I needed to speak to the probation officer and gave me the number. When I spoke to the PO, the only information that could be given me was that s/he is still on probation and there is no court date.

Regular drug testing is part of probation for her/him and if drug testing did take place s/he would definitely test positive. S/he is also failing to abide by all of the conditions I listed previously.

That is what is incredulous to me, is that s/he has not been taken into custody. Certainly after 3 weeks the county attorney and judge would have received something from the PO indicating s/he has violated all conditions of probation and would have a warrant issued?

BL

=zach_w;1994687]Thank you for your answer.

About 10 days ago I called adult probation and asked if probation had been revoked as my friend indicated it has been. The office told me I needed to speak to the probation officer and gave me the number. When I spoke to the PO, the only information that could be given me was that s/he is still on probation and there is no court date.

Regular drug testing is part of probation for her/him and if drug testing did take place s/he would definitely test positive. S/he is also failing to abide by all of the conditions I listed previously.

That is what is incredulous to me, is that s/he has not been taken into custody. Certainly after 3 weeks the county attorney and judge would have received something from the PO indicating s/he has violated all conditions of probation and would have a warrant issued?
No , it is up to the PO . Some PO's are very lenient , some are hard@ss .

Now , what is it to you what occures ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">