• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with a check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tator72764

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I own a small business. I pay my employees with company checks that are hand written. An employee of mine defaulted on his car payment, and a judgement was issued against him. I was sent information requesting 25% of his earnings as garnishment for the default payment. Each time I wrote a check to the employee for wages, I deducted the owed garnishment. I then wrote a separate check for the amount of garnishment. The employee was altering the checks to show him as the payee. I was unaware of this until I received a call from the finance company stating they hadn't received any payment in a couple months. I then looked closely at my cancelled checks, and could see what was going on. I would like to give the employee a chance to make this right, and not pursue legal charges against him. He is a good employee and has ran into multiple hardships lately. I know it's not an excuse.... Can the finance company pursue legal charges against him or me? I am not really sure what my options are.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I own a small business. I pay my employees with company checks that are hand written. An employee of mine defaulted on his car payment, and a judgement was issued against him. I was sent information requesting 25% of his earnings as garnishment for the default payment. Each time I wrote a check to the employee for wages, I deducted the owed garnishment. I then wrote a separate check for the amount of garnishment. The employee was altering the checks to show him as the payee. I was unaware of this until I received a call from the finance company stating they hadn't received any payment in a couple months. I then looked closely at my cancelled checks, and could see what was going on. I would like to give the employee a chance to make this right, and not pursue legal charges against him. He is a good employee and has ran into multiple hardships lately. I know it's not an excuse.... Can the finance company pursue legal charges against him or me? I am not really sure what my options are.
As it appears right now, you have defied a court order. They already have a judgement against him, they can now seek relief from you.

Fire the criminal.:cool:

divona2000

...Each time I wrote a check to the employee for wages, I deducted the owed garnishment. I then wrote a separate check for the amount of garnishment. The employee was altering the checks to show him as the payee...
Why were you giving the garnishment checks to the employee?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">