• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freakedout

What is the name of your state? I'm not from the US, and this is about soemthing on the Internet so it probably concerns every state.

If someone simply wanted to do something illegal but didn't write it down or anything, say, they planned in their heads by themselves to hack someone's computer (not all hacking is bad, but just say that this is), can they get charged for intent? I came across some boards for hackers - most of the people who post there are supposed to be ethical hackers, emploted by companies to test their network security and stuff. But still you get people who want to hack illegally, and ask on messageboard how to do it. And the people just tell them you shouldn't be doing that, it's illegal, you're getting no help frpm us etc. and add that one would not be stupid enough to post intentions to hack on an Internet messageboard for the whole world to see. Could these people who reply get charged for hindering police or something, even if their intentions were for the wannabe hacker's common sense and they didn't see the consequences?

CdwJava

freakedout said:
If someone simply wanted to do something illegal but didn't write it down or anything, say, they planned in their heads by themselves to hack someone's computer (not all hacking is bad, but just say that this is), can they get charged for intent?
Not unless they do something to further the act. Simply thinking it is not a crime ... taking actions to go forward with it, is. And "intent" can be demonstrated by actions - and unless it was an accidental hack (as if that's possible), any hacking would be intentional by its nature.

I came across some boards for hackers - most of the people who post there are supposed to be ethical hackers, emploted by companies to test their network security and stuff.
Sure. Okay.

But still you get people who want to hack illegally, and ask on messageboard how to do it. And the people just tell them you shouldn't be doing that, it's illegal, you're getting no help frpm us etc. and add that one would not be stupid enough to post intentions to hack on an Internet messageboard for the whole world to see.
Smart ... why would the people who frequent the board want to leave evidence of their aid!

Could these people who reply get charged for hindering police or something, even if their intentions were for the wannabe hacker's common sense and they didn't see the consequences?
I doubt it.

But, the laws vary by state and by crime. So without something a little more substantial, it's hard to say for sure.

- Carl

freakedout

CdwJava said:
But, the laws vary by state and by crime. So without something a little more substantial, it's hard to say for sure.
Someone was asking how to plant bugs in some online computer game. I told him he shouldn't have typed that stuff up because then he might get accused of attempting to do it, if he didn't go ahead with it. The game/site is kingdomofloathing.com . I submitted a tip on him and the res of the messageboard to the FBI two days ago.

I think I'm totally stuffed now. Mind you I think it'd actually stop people from asking how to do this sorta stuff on public messageboards which would then limit their ways of learning stuff like that.

Last edited:

freakedout

I asked my best friend's mum (who's a legal secretary and is doing a part time postgrad law degree in uni) about it and she said I should be find since I'm not in any way supporting anything the guy's doing (ie. I'm not helping him do any of it).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">