• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property being withheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimJx

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA/FL

I have a situation that I hope some can advise me about what to do next.

I live in VA and about 4 months ago, the transmission in my car gave up the ghost.. While my wife was talking to my step daughter, who lives in FL, she mentioned to her that we were going to have to buy another car. Since step-daughter was getting ready to leave and go in the Navy, she said she would give her car to us so we would not have to buy
another one. She is currently in Siganella, Sicily and will be there for the next 3 years or so. At the time she left, she was living with her paternal grand mother and asked her to keep the car until we could get down to pick it up, but not to let anyone drive it.

Since that time, she has been letting her grandson (step daughters cousin) drive the car and she claims that the car broke down while he was driving it to Plant City, they live near Daytona Beach. According to them, they had to get it repaired and they are making payments on the repair bill so the shop will not release it until it is paid off.

I really don't believe that the car is being repaired since they
can't/won't tell us where it is to verify, and every time we try to call to ask them about the car and the status on the situation, they quote us another, higher, figure on the repair costs and say that he is still making payments and tell us that they will call us when we can come and get it.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I am trying to give as many details as possible. So bottom line is, do we have any recourse, criminal or civil, to get this situation resolved? For the sake of arguement, if the car was repaired and they are making payments and I try to get the car from the repair shop, will I be responsible for anything they have not paid even though I did not authorize it? Finally, if I can find
where the car is, can I have a wrecker swing by and pick it up? The car is now in my wife's and my names, in VA, so I don't believe that there should be a problem there.

I will be very grateful for any advice offered.
Jim

S

seniorjudge

Is it possible for you to explain this a little more clearly?

I am getting old, feeble, and stupid...every little bit helps.

(Just kidding about the stupid part. :D )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">