• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage Law (Court Date tomorrow)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arcadefire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hello.
I'm going to try and make this brief.

X has been threatening Y for several months now through voicemail, excessive phonecalls, and even coming to Y's house inflicting property damage. The voicemails are something like "you ******* just wait and see what happens. im going to **** you over"

This X guy did the same to two other families.

One day Y and his friends were together and X comes along and then all of them get in a heated argument and Y's two friends hits X. But Y doesn't. But X wants to sue Y because he watched the fight instead of breaking it up..

So what I'm curious about is is property damage worse than hitting someone (like a small fight.. a bar fight)? I understand that property damage in VA is a class 1 misdemeanor but what does hitting someone classify as?

This whole case is ridiculous but I need to know what I have against this crazy guy. I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

CdwJava

Was the other guy injured? Was a weapon used? There are different classes of assault and battery.

Has Y reported any of these incidents to the police? I am guessing not. If not, and X was injured by Y's friends, Y might find himself in trouble if it can be argued that he aided or encouraged his pals to thump on X. While Y did not have to break it up, if he encouraged it he might still be sued.

Sounds like Y might want to consult some attorneys both for a defense and to look into suing X for damages to his own property ... provided he can prove X did the damage. And Y might want to call the police and report all the prior threat ... if they are still legally relevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">