• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property stolen from home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

salldrin

What is the name of your state? Idaho

We received a call from our local police department officer that informed us that a minor was in their custody and she was trying to trade in silver dollar coins at the grocery store. She said that one of our family members gave them to her. We have a old, expensive large coin collection that disappeared. The officer said we couldn't recover any of it if we didn't file charges against this minor. This minor is having multiple problems and we thought we didn't want to cause any further problems for her and her parents. So we are out any recovery of the coin collection because we didn't file charges of stolen property. is there anyway we can try to recover the stolen property without going the mentioned above route?

HomeGuru

salldrin said:

We received a call from our local police department officer that informed us that a minor was in their custody and she was trying to trade in silver dollar coins at the grocery store. She said that one of our family members gave them to her. We have a old, expensive large coin collection that disappeared. The officer said we couldn't recover any of it if we didn't file charges against this minor. This minor is having multiple problems and we thought we didn't want to cause any further problems for her and her parents. So we are out any recovery of the coin collection because we didn't file charges of stolen property. is there anyway we can try to recover the stolen property without going the mentioned above route?

**A: break into the police evidence room and steal it back.

H

hmmbrdzz

Guru is so good at telling you exactly what you can do -- in one sentence -- in the predicament you're in. His answers are simple, direct, correct, and clever. I just can't help but elaborate, though, on some things -- so here I am. If something is missing from your house, you should file a police report. That is the only route that will help you recover missing items. Do as you please, but next year they'll steal all your VCR's and your antique gun collection. At some point, you'll file a report. If your children are involved, don't think they won't steal from you or won't steal big. The older they get, the more practiced they become, and they've got friends! Lock it all up!

hmmbrdzz

salldrin said:

HomeGuru

hmmbrdzz, has a good point. Continue doing nothing and you continue to be an enabler teaching that crime pays and people can rip you off and you'll do nothing about it.
If those were my coins, I would have the thief locked up behind bars and I'm getting my coins back as soon as the evidence is not needed. I would tell the thief, "let me coin a phrase. Crime pays man."

S

salldrin

I thank you both for your words of direction. It has helped me see things with a different perspective. I'm Enraged, ticked, and tired of it all. I think we will have to go thru the motions according to the law to retreive our property.(I don't think the police would appreciate me breaking into their evidence room!, I may be the one ending up behind bars) Thanks for helping me see things as they are, both of your words of wisdom have been taken to action. Thank you again,
salldrin

JETX

Sometimes the toughest test of loving a child is allowing the child to trip and fall.... just be there when they get back up.

HomeGuru

Writer: my steal the coins back from the police was made purposely to get you to think and realize that there is no other alternative than to press charges if you want to see your coins back.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Top 10 Ways to Stop Being Burglarized - -

NUMBER 10: Remove "Welcome" mat. Replace with "Not Welcome" mat.

NUMBER 9: Take down sign reading, "Mi Casa es Su Casa". Some people take it literally.

NUMBER 8: Asks you to hold his gun while he puts on some Chapstick. Use opportunity to clean and oil gun.

NUMBER 7: Leave dirty diapers all over house.

NUMBER 6: Put all of your belongings in storage. Live in completely empty house.

NUMBER 5: Three words: pine-scented mace.

NUMBER 4: Suggest to burglar that you were just on your way out, and could he please come back at 4:00 p.m.

NUMBER 3: Tell the burglar instead of, "You have the right to remain silent," "You have no right to look so fabulous!"

NUMBER 2: Ask burglar if he'd like his intestines sauteed and served with wine.

AND, the NUMBER ONE Way to Stop Being Burglarized - -

Have burglar move in with you !

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">