• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in propria persona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bullygirl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have been charged w/domestic assault, based on a law enforcement officer's inaccurately identifying me as the "primary aggressor." I'm seriously considering defending myself in court. I do not want to have to pay an attorney, because I didn't do anything! Questions: What can an attorney do for me that I can't do myself? If I declare that I'm defending myself, can I contact the prosecutor and get the file on my case? Can I ask the prosecutor to reduce the charge? Are there any online resources to help me in representing myself?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

bullygirl

Oh gee, never thought of that.

And I imagine another component would be being part of the good ol' boy network. Let me put my question another way, and then maybe someone who is NOT a jerk could answer. Can a defendent, representing oneself, communicate w/prosecutor, negotiate reduction of charges, etc.?

calatty

Pojo is not a jerk. He is correct. Would you fix your own car if you were not trained as a mechanic? Then why do you think you can represent yourself if you don't even know where to find legal resources on the net? This is not the time or occasion to be saving money.

grasmicc

There are a ton of online resources to assist in defending the case. Just keep searching for them.

Is the "victim" planning on testifying?

Request a jury trial.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">