• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proprty line dispute, now anti-harassment orders...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sheib

What is the name of your state? Washington

I have an ongoing issue with a fence my neighbors knowingly built onto my property. For years we have been arguing with them to remove the fence (it was built onto the retraining wall holding up the land on the side of my house).

As of today, because of the behavior, I know have a 1 year anti-harassment order against the female neighbor (she is very obnoxious). Of course, she 'counter' filed and the judge this morning granted both of our orders. Our orders specificaly restrict eachother from entering the 'real' property of the other.

This may not be in the right forum, but if I get a record of survey done and prove the land is mine, can I remove the fence without violating the no-contact order? (or, I guess I could just get my spouse to do it while I am at work).

Also, the respondent made it apparently clear in the court (to me, since I know), that she is willing to lie to any extent over this whole matter. I seriously believe that the intimidation tactics and other behaviours will just escalate, but now she'll do what's she's done during the temp. order period for the last two weeks, and that's use her kids to bully mine (hers are at least 5 years older than my child). She also has a friend who lives on the other side of me who I do not get along with (their kids have repeatedly stole things from our garage). The respondent stated in her 'counter' file heinous lies about my son and I that now seem to be working around the neighborhood.

Oh, and one last thing.
This woman is black, and I am white. She's trying to use the 'race' card as well (which is funny, since my husband is part black).

All of this is over a 20' section of fence she built onto my property.....:(

A

a neighbor

My parents went thru the same thing about 30 years ago. Neighbors put up a fence after asking to buy over onto our property. They had to hire an attorney, get survey after survey, the judge even ordered a survey, then after 5 years of fighting the fence was taken down and the property line restored. The bad news, it was costly and a real headache for them, the good news, the neighbor had to pay EVERYTHING! All attorney's, all survey's, everything.

I wouldn't wait to long, isn't there some kind of ownership thing after so many years of maintaining another property???

B

blidiot

I agree with "a neighbor." Survey it and take it down, unless the Order prohibits doing anything with the fence. If it's on your real property and a surveyor proves it, then you aren't on her property when you tear it down. However, have a videocamera going the entire time and make sure you don't go on her property.

About your concern about the conversion of the property... In most states it is ten or more years before a person gets property they have been squatting on.

There seems to be a bigger issue, and that's your neighbors. Maybe you want to leave if you are unhappy? It sucks to have to sell your house, but who wants the stress of this kind of situation?

Contact a lawyer though, and run all this past him/her before taking ANY action!!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">