• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection from defamatory statements I.E. "Witnesses"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Serius

If a supposed witness, before under oath in a judical hearing defames you, are they still protected under the law?
She was totally unaware of the situation because the actual criminal was wearing a red hat at the time of the incident from the true witness. I was not wearing a hat and can prove that I wasn't. Everyone thinks I'm a bad person and I'm not. Do I have a case?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Serius:
If a supposed witness, before under oath in a judical hearing defames you, are they still protected under the law?
She was totally unaware of the situation because the actual criminal was wearing a red hat at the time of the incident from the true witness. I was not wearing a hat and can prove that I wasn't. Everyone thinks I'm a bad person and I'm not. Do I have a case?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DA can say anything about you, in court, as long as they are communications "in any . . . official proceeding authorized by law." [Ca Civil § 47(b)(3); see Passman v. Torkan (1995) 34 Cal.App.4th 607, 616, 40 Cal.Rptr.2d 291, 296--defendant's letter to district attorney, accusing plaintiff of criminal conduct and designed to prompt a criminal prosecution, was absolutely privileged]

Purposes:

To free litigants and witnesses from fear of harassment for what they say in litigation; to encourage zealous advocacy by counsel; and to "avoid an unending roundelay of litigation." [Silberg v. Anderson (1990) 50 Cal.3d 205, 213, 266 Cal.Rptr. 638, 642-643]

Requirements:

Even fraudulent and malicious statements are absolutely privileged if:

· Made in a judicial or quasi-judicial proceeding (not necessarily in the courthouse);

· By litigants or other participants authorized by law;

· To further the objects of the litigation; and

· Having some connection or logical relation to the action. [Silberg v. Anderson, supra, 50 Cal.3d at 213-214, 266 Cal.Rptr. at 642; see Rothman v. Jackson (1996) 49 Cal.App.4th 1134, 1141, 57 Cal.Rptr.2d 284, 288]

Compare-- No intent or motives requirement:

The third requirement above (communication must further the objects of the litigation) is not a test of defendant's motives or purposes. It is simply part of the requirement that the communication have some logical relation to the litigation. I.e., as long as the communication is relevant to the litigation, it is absolutely privileged . . . regardless of defendant's selfish or evil motives. [Silberg v. Anderson, supra, 50 Cal.3d at 220, 266 Cal.Rptr. at 643-645; Rothman v. Jackson, supra, 49 Cal.App.4th at 1141, 57 Cal.Rptr.2d at 288]

So, in essence, you can scream and yell all you want about it, but you are helpless to do anything about it; e.g., you can't sue the DA because the parties or participants can say anything they want. The only person who CAN'T say anything like you've espoused, is the judge. That's appealable or reversable error if the judge says anything like that DURING the litigation. Now, at the sentencing stage, once you're convicted, that's a different story and the judge can say whatever he/she wants at that time.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">