• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The proverbial "I have a friend."

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OnlyOneVoice

What is the name of your state? TX

Okay, here goes. I have a friend whose son accidentally shot a friend of his with a weapon that was stolen by 2 other friends in a burglary.

Here's the question. The shooting occured at the residence of the 2 boys who burglarized another residence and stole the guns.

Can the parents of the boys who stole the guns be held liable in anyway for the unsupervised situation that ended in this accidental shooting?

BTW both parents were intoxicated at the time of the incident and not supervising the 6 kids who were "playing around in the bedroom inside the detached garage."

Is there any charge that can be brought against the parents of the boys who stole the guns?

Any advice is appreciated.

stephenk

How old is the shooter? Depending on the age of the shooter, the shooter may be the only one responsible for the incident.

O

OnlyOneVoice

The kid in question is 15 years old. My friend's contention is that if the 2 boys hadn't stolen the gun, it wouldn't have been accessable to the 15 yo.

So if the parents had been providing adequate supervision then the gun would not have been available.

Could they be charged with making a handgun accessible to a minor due to negligence??

gobonas99

OnlyOneVoice said:
The kid in question is 15 years old. My friend's contention is that if the 2 boys hadn't stolen the gun, it wouldn't have been accessable to the 15 yo.
Due to the age of your friend's son, he will probably be the only one held responsible for the shooting.

A 15 year old should know better than to play with a gun - whether it is accessible or not. A 5 year old wouldn't know any better...maybe not even a 10 year old...but a 15 year old? Unless he is mentally incapacitated, he should have known better.

-Christina

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">