• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Provisional License - NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CharlieSheen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW JERSEY

My brother has a provisional license, the state is New Jersey.

Here is the statute:

New Jersey Statute Directory - NJSA 39:3-13.4 Provisional driver's license.

Violation said:
The holder of a provisional license shall be permitted to operate the passenger automobile with only one additional passenger in the vehicle besides persons with whom the holder resides, except that this passenger restriction shall not apply when either the holder of the provisional license or one other passenger is at least 21 years of age. Further, the holder of the provisional license who is under 21 years of age shall not drive during the hours between 12:01 a.m. and 5 a.m.; provided however, that this condition may be waived for an emergency which, in the judgment of local police, is of sufficient severity and magnitude to substantially endanger the health, safety, welfare or property of a person or for any bona fide employment or religion-related activity if the employer or appropriate religious authority provides written verification of such activity in a manner provided for by the director.
What exactly happened was that he was at a county park with his girlfriend, it was near the summer solstice, and apparently the thing closes after dark. So hes sitting in the car with her, and she starts to cry and tell him about her ex-fiance who beat her, raped her, and after-the-fact found out that he cheated on her. So hes sitting there, comforting her, and when it gets dark he turns the lights on. I am assuming some nearby residents called in the lights (he was there for over an hour or so he said?) and the cops came.

They said it was alright and that he would not get any sort of ticket for being in the county park, but said that if it was the county police responding, he would have had a size-able fine. However, since it was 12:20 (20 minutes after when he was supposed to be in), they slapped him with a violation on his provisional. I don't know exactly what penalty he will face, but he said he googled it, and its just like a 100 dollar fine. I am not sure if hes BS'ing though, as it has a required court appearance for him.

Now, since he has to go to court, I suggested that he get the shot down due to the circumstance of the summons being given. Firstly, the car was not moving (he was not actively operating the vehicle.) It was simply parked where it was not supposed to be, and the lights were on. The officer ordered him to move the car from the park, and it was from this order that he was in violation of the provisional license restrictions. However, obviously, if he had stayed he would have been in violation of "being in the county park after it was closed."

Also, I think he might be able to raise a point of necessity over the fact that his girlfriend had attempted suicide and was even sent to a hospital under suicide watch for suicide attempts. So she was revealing this emotional **** about herself, is he really expected just to ****ing get up and leave? She could kill herself, so in some sense it was a medical emergency :p!

I know I am pulling at straws here, but what do you guys think?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
He was operating it if he was behind the wheel with the keys in the ignition.

And how was he supposed to get home when he finally decided to leave? Walk and leave the car there?

No one can predict what a judge will do if he decides to fight it. Why don't you leave that to him? Sounds like he's not concerned about it.

CharlieSheen

He was in the backseat, the car was fully parked, the car was not started (only the lights were on).

Would anyone know exactly what penalties I may be facing? The best way to fight this in court?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, hire an attorney.

By the way, it makes no sense to turn the vehicle lights on if the vehicle is not being operated. It almost sounds like part of the story is missing.

Just Blue

Today 06:18 AM
CharlieSheen He was in the backseat, the car was fully parked, the car was not started (only the lights were on).

Would anyone know exactly what penalties I may be facing? The best way to fight this in court?
Gee Charlie..Why on EARTH would you face any charges?? :rolleyes:

Just Blue

Lol, oops. You got me. :)

The lights were turned on because it was night - No part of the story is missing.
You are a lier. Go and lie to an attorney. The people that VOLUNTEER their time here do NOT like to be lied to. We don't get paid enough.

:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">