• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Assistant Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ria26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I received a letter in the mail stating that there was a criminal investigation on me regarding public assistant fraud. It stated that i needed to contact the investigator that was on the letter immediately. I contacted her twice before speaking with her and once we spoke she said she needed to come out to my residence and have an interview with me.She said they were investigating my old employment from last year where i am no longer employed. She then stated that she did not want to talk about it on the phone and that i could ask her 50 questions or more when she came out.

I agreed to a day and time and we hung up. I called her back and rescheduled the appoint and she made a comment under her breath saying "I hope the agent doesn't come out to you first". I don't know what that meant. I didn't comment on it i just told her i was going out of town and needed to reschedule. She then asked where i was going..I told her i was going out of town to visit a family member. I was very scared and yes that was a lie. My next date to spk with her is early next week. I am trying to get some sort of legal advice before then. I do not have the funds for a lawyer and i am still receiving assistance. I don't have a criminal record and i have never even received a parking ticket. I am scared to death becaue i have many health issues and i take a lot of medication. I will not receive my medication if i go to jail. The jails here are very nasty i hear and there is like a 3 week wait for one tylenol. I am very scared please help.:confused: i did report my income but i have no proof.

My questions are:

Do i have to meet with this investigator?

If i don't will i be issued a warrant or will an agent really come out?

swalsh411

Do not speak with the investigator or any other person who is looking to put you in jail and ruin your life with a felony record. If you cannot afford an attorney to represent you, then you should shut up and IF they press charges you can get a public defender.

A warrant will be issued if they have probable cause to believe you have committed a crime. Not speaking with them will not increase the likelihood of this. In fact, by speaking with them you may inadvertently provide information which will help lead to your arrest.

In short, keep your mouth shut.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">