• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public defender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jillaport

What is the name of your state? Illinois

What is acceptable practice on how a public defender is to contact a client that is jail and not out on bond. Appointed Tuesday and as not gone yet to see client. Say he is to busy.

AmosMoses

I am not sure what, if any, the legal constraints are, but I have heard this complaint before. Is your friend going to try to get a bail reduction, or a bail hearing? If so, I would assume that the indigent defender would need to see him sooner, or the priority would seem to be higher anyway. I mean, if not (he's/she's not trying to bond out), it's not nearly as necessary that the initial meeting take place sooner. The wheels of justice are notoriously slow. Usually, the Public Defender's Office is full of overworked, underassisted young attorneys who simply lack the resources to furnish much of a defense. That's just the way it is. Is there any possible way that your friend could afford a private attorney? He would definitely turn out better in the long run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">